Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, October 11, 2021

Pour It Out


Yesterday, our pastor was speaking about being offended towards the Lord, when He does things we don't expect, or differently than we want.  It was a very helpful reflection, and got me thinking again about a recent reflection I had concerning Mary and Martha and the death and raising of their brother Lazarus (See  https://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2021/09/why-mary-waits.html ).  

I was thinking that the story didn't end with the raising of Lazarus.  I thought I should spend a bit more time looking at the following chapter, for we often just stop with the raising of Lazarus, but there is indeed more to that story found in John 12:1-9,12-13 NASB:

[1] "Jesus, therefore, six days before the Passover, came to Bethany where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. [2] So they made Him a supper there, and Martha was serving; but Lazarus was one of those reclining at the table with Him. [3] Mary then took a pound of very costly perfume of pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. 

[4] But Judas Iscariot, one of His disciples, who was intending to betray Him, said, [5] "Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and given to poor people?" [6] Now he said this, not because he was concerned about the poor, but because he was a thief, and as he had the money box, he used to pilfer what was put into it. 

[7] Therefore Jesus said, "Let her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of My burial. [8] For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have Me." 

[9] The large crowd of the Jews then learned that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus' sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He raised from the dead. 

[12] On the next day the large crowd who had come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, [13] took the branches of the palm trees and went out to meet Him, and began to shout, "Hosanna! BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD, even the King of Israel."

My first thought as I read through these verses was that Mary was able to release her offense (in my opinion something she carried against Jesus, prior to Lazarus' raising) and worship Him.  I think  we would all find that response natural and appropriate considering her brother was sitting there alive and well at the table with Jesus!  However, I think that many of us, when we have been wounded deeply by someone close, regardless of how that hurt is resolved or healed, struggle with trusting them ever again.   One could say the wounding left a permanent scar within the context of that relationship.

If we break it down a bit more, the offense is usually related to a betrayal of trust.  In Mary's case she had trusted Jesus, believing that He was going arrive in time to heal her brother before he died.  She knew Jesus, loved Him and believed in Him.  My conjecture as well is that she was vocal about this trust, telling her friends that Jesus would get there in time to heal Lazarus, even when things were looking dire. I believe that her offense was the result of that trust being broken.  Who knows, she might even had heard Jesus promise to help them if they ever needed Him!  Regardless, I believe she was deeply wounded.

At this point we all know the story of how Jesus then called Lazarus out of the grave, and everything must have been wonderful!  However, lets go back to Mary, for she had suffered very real and very deep pain!  In the midst of the glory of receiving her brother back, there might just have been a question as to why she had been forced to suffer such pain.  It might not have been right away, but I am sure the memory of that pain didn't just disappear.  

In light of this, I believe her next action, that of anointing Jesus' feet, was so significant!  She was blessing Him, and showing Him honor and at the same time, expressing intimate worship, for her hair was her glory (see 1 Cor 11:15) and she was using it to wipe Jesus feet!  She was effectively saying that her best was His!  She was doing this in front of all those that had gathered for the feast, and was effectively proclaiming her worship, her laying down of any injury or hurt, a complete baring of her heart in adoration, and the complete healing of her wounds!  

I find it interesting that Judas had to break into this most intimate worship with concern about the cost.  Isn't that just like the spirit of religion, calling into question the extravagance of worship from a place of deep emotion, love or devotion?  We tend to find people's extravagant worship uncomfortable, or even judge them to be over-doing it just a bit!  We misunderstand that this worship often is the result of chains being broken, captives being set free!  In Mary's case, she had broken free from the fetters of offense!  I am reminded of the man who was healed outside the temple in Acts 3:1-10.  I am sure there were those who wanted to keep him from "walking and leaping and praising God" (Acts 3:8).  

Finally, I want to note that Jesus defended Mary in her worship!  In fact there is another similar story found in Matt 26, a woman anoints Jesus with a very expensive perfume, again pouring forth her worship on Him, and Jesus says the following, "Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her." ( Matthew 26:13 NASB).  My point is that the Lord, takes very special notice of those that pour forth intimate worship to Him!  Let us honor those who do, even as the Lord does, and not act like Judas Iscariot.

In summary, I am encouraged to look at my heart and make sure that I have laid down any offenses I have against the Lord!  I am encouraged to worship Him as He is worthy of my adoration, my intimate worship.  I am encouraged to press past the point of any trust issues, or any scarring from past hurts, to just worship at His feet.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment