Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, December 17, 2021

A Trustworthy Statement

This morning I am reflecting on a few verses, which interestingly were part of what was apparently an early hymn found in 2 Timothy 2:11-13 NASB:

[11] "It is a trustworthy statement: 

For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him; 

[12] If we endure, we will also reign with Him; 

If we deny Him, He also will deny us; 

[13] If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself."

These verses were some of the first that impacted me as an early Christian, and as such they have a special place in my heart.  Yesterday morning I was reflecting on Jesus' statements about being Messiah and how he dealt with the people who wee wanting to stone Him for saying He was the Son of God.  I was reflecting on how Jesus always seemed to respond with grace and invitation to His detractors,  giving them the opportunity to repent.  However the end of verse 12 here, seems to be in conflict with that statement, at least at first pass.

I thought it worth working through this morning, as being some of the most ancient "trustworthy statements'' about our faith, it is unquestionable to an extent.  As I was reflecting on these verses this morning, I felt like I gained some additional understanding that was helpful and in line with what I have experienced in Christ.

There is an eternal perspective that is important when reading scripture, as is evident here.  Eternal life is found in knowing Christ Jesus.   John wrote it this way, "And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.  Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life." (1 John 5:11-12 NIV).

Since we can know Christ Jesus here, and live in union with Him here, we can experience eternal life while still present on the earth in our earthly bodies.  We also look forward to an "eternal reward" in heaven, so there is a now (present) and future aspect to this eternal perspective, and of course there is a state of pre-salvation that many people are in, prior to entering into relationship with their Savior Jesus, and that is important to note.  Thus, if we read these verses with a pre/now/future understanding we can understand these verses more clearly.

Breaking them down - 

"For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him;"  (Now and Future)

"If we endure, we will also reign with Him;: (Now and Future)

"If we deny Him, He also will deny us;" (Future only)

"If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself." (Pre/Now/Future)

I might not have the right of it, but this is how I think it works.  We can die to our old selves, embracing Jesus, here during our earthly life, and when we do this we are living with Him.  If we endure in our faith through life's difficulties, we will experience His sovereignty, even during our earthly life, and certainly in our heavenly inheritance.  We have the opportunity to experience some bit of Heaven's reality here and now, and that is just a taste of what is to come.

In a slightly different light it seems to me that If we deny Him during our life, He continues to provide us the opportunities to repent and change our minds.  He has paid for all our sins and would see all men saved, if possible.   Paul wrote the following, "This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:3-4 NIV).  He also wrote, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8 NIV). He doesn't give up on us in our sin, even in our denial, but continues to extend mercy, continues to draw us to Him, to present the truth, that we might accept His salvation.  

I could go on with several other verses and examples, but I believe that the second half of verse 12, where it says He will deny us, is only experienced on the day of our judgment.  Christ is clear that there will be a day (See Matt 25:31-46) when a final decision is made by the Lord concerning our life.  Now this might happen at the time of our death, or at some future time on the "Day of Judgment", which is referenced by Jesus, Paul, James and Peter, but it will happen if God's word is true.  I don't need to know the exact details of how this all works, but I do know that the Lord is loving, compassionate, merciful, faithful, forgiving and just, and that none of these characteristics interferes with any of the others. 

This morning I am encouraged to look toward the day of God's full expression of sovereignty, and revelation in heaven, and to look for the expression of these even here and now, in my life and through my life.  I am encouraged to trust God, to believe the totality of His Word, even if I don't fully understand it all.  I am encouraged that God has this all totally under control, and as a merciful God, He will work it out.

Me, I will live my life for Him, I will endure, I will strive to grow in my faith, and I will never deny Him.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment