Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 2, 2022

The God of All Comfort


This morning I felt led to spend some time in Paul's second letter to the church in Corinth.  In particular, I wanted to take some time an reflect on his basic opening, found in 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 NIV:

[3] "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, [4] who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. [5] For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. [6] If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. [7] And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort." 

While I was reading these verses this morning the word that stood out to me was the word comfort.  Paul writes that He is the God of all comfort, and while I love that, I don't think the NIV captures the full meaning, of the original Greek word.  The word is paraklesis. It is defined as follows:

1) a calling near, summons, (esp. for help)

2) importation, supplication, entreaty

3) exhortation, admonition, encouragement

4) consolation, comfort, solace; that which affords comfort or refreshment

      a) thus of the Messianic salvation (so the Rabbis call the Messiah the consoler, the comforter)

5) persuasive discourse, stirring address

      a) instructive, admonitory, conciliatory, powerful hortatory discourse

This word, or variations of the word can either be a noun or verb, in verse 3 its a noun, in verse 4 its all verbs. We can think of this as one aspect of God's Character, and then God acting from that character.

Looking at the definition of this single word  - God is someone we can call to; someone who is nearby ready to help; someone we can appeal to with significant concerns; someone who is willing to listen to our pleas; someone who exhorts us and encourages us, even admonishing us as needed to lift us up and out of our trouble.  God is someone who will bring consolation in our loss, comfort and soothing in our pain, to the point of refreshing us! 

As I was writing that last bit the image of bactine spray (it provided temporary relief) compared to a long soaking bath came to mind.  I guess the point is that God's comfort, is not just surface comfort, but rather for your whole being, soaked all the way through!  

Finally God is one who will encourage us, stir us up, give us vision and courage, instruct us in how we can be better or do better!  

This is what Paul was writing, and what the people in the Church of Corinth needed to hear!  As I reflect on this character of God, I can see I clearly need to hear this as well!  He isn't a God who pats you on the head and tells you it will be ok, He is a God who is all in, providing whatever we need, willing and able to help, and able to reach the very core of ourselves, treating our deepest pains, griefs and sorrows!  

Now that I understand this is what God is like, Paul continues on and says that as we experience this from God, we should extend the same to those we encounter, that they too might experience the paraklesis of God in their own life!  We are to be purveyors of this comfort!  If God dwells within us, then His character does as well, and we can ask to release this comfort (of God) to those in need.

I was just thinking that when Paul wrote,  "Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Corinthians 1:2 NIV) he wasn't just being polite, he firmly expected that this Grace and Peace, which are found in God, would be distributed to those who heard and or read these words.  He was essentially asking God to package this word with Grace and Peace so that when open and read, it would be released.  This would be the good spiritual equivalent to glitter! :-)

Oh Lord, I pray that You would release into me and through me, Your comfort, Your encouragement, Your exhortation, Your consolation, and Your peace.

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment