Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Worth It All!

This morning I am once again reflecting on Paul's extraordinary statement in his letter to the Philippians.  Paul is writing this late in his ministry, while in prison in Rome.  He had already completed his major ministry trips, and planted churches all over, and written the majority of his letters, and yet these are his words - Philippians 3:7-16 NIV:

[7] 'But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. [8] What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ [9] and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ---the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. [10] I want to know Christ---yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, [11] and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead."

[12] "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. [13] Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, [14] I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." 

[15] "All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. [16] Only let us live up to what we have already attained." 

The verses that are my focus this morning are verses 12-14.  At the beginning of this chapter, Paul started writing about the Gospel of grace through faith, and while that is still a major theme in the verses above, he refined his focus here the importance of knowing the Lord, and serving Him with everything.  In his view, all else was so much rubbish, and all the ministry, all the churches, all the people, everything paled in comparison to knowing Jesus and fulfilling all that He had called him (Paul) to do.  

It is almost as if Paul was having an end-of-life assessment and was looking back and seeing the relative value of everything he had accomplished and seeing His life clearer than ever before.  He realized he still had work to do, and still had not achieved his goal which was knowing Christ Jesus in all fullness.  He was all in, and was essentially refocusing his life, and making sure his last efforts were all about the most important!

Paul wasn't going to glide into retirement, resting on his accomplishments.  He wasn't easing off as he got older, instead he was doubling down, going all in, whatever phrase you want to use!  In my opinion, he had decided to have no regrets concerning his relationship with the Lord!  

If I ran into somebody like Paul, there is a good chance I would coach them to take it easy, to ease up a bit, to take a more moderated approach.  I tend to be uncomfortable when others are out pacing me in an are, especially if its an area where I have chosen differently.  I tend to have a "good enough" mind-set about many things, and at times find myself keeping a rough score in my mind, not so I can compare my accomplishments to God's purposes for me, but rather that I might compare myself to others.  Eww, that is ugly just admitting, but it is the truth.  I would prefer to be comfortable, not pressing forward, but rather strolling forward at an easy pace.  I would like people to admire me for my generally good life and balanced approach, and would like to not press past my "comfort zone".

Paul, had none of this attitude, yet he had accomplished more than most people ever will.  Instead, He was laying everything down and racing after the Lord!  He was so focused on Him, that all else no longer mattered!  Less we get the wrong impression here, Paul was still focused on the Body of Christ, and doing everything He could to love and encourage all those with whom He was interacting, but they were no longer his primary focus, if they ever were.  He wasn't leaving behind all the people and churches, he was just running in front of them all, showing them the way.  In fact, this was his exact encouragement, continuing in verse fifteen, "All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things." He was encouraging the church to press on, to pursue the Lord in all His fullness, and to live up to what they had attained in Christ Jesus. 

This morning I am encouraged to follow close after Paul's example, pressing forward, forgetting what is in the past, knowing that there is more for me, and more of Jesus for me to know.   I am encouraged to do so, not so others might be impressed, but because of the surpassing worth of knowing Jesus.  He is worth it all.

Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment