Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, May 9, 2022

Sheep or Sons & Daughters?


Recently I have been thinking about the Church and looking at two different terms the Lord uses in describing us, sheep and sons and daughters. The deferent terms are useful and it is important to understand both are appropriate, but it is critical that we communicate correctly about our identities, and our mission, if you will, as followers of Christ.

This weekend I had a great conversation with a good friend that got me thinking about this all again.  In my long-term relationship with the Lord, He will often revisit different topics, giving me additional insight, or more likely reminding me of the insight He provided previously.  This is a topic area I have visited on multiple occasions, and one that is really important, at least in my opinion.

In John's Gospel Jesus calls Himself the Good Shepherd, and describes us as His sheep, the second instance is found John 10:14-17 NIV:

[14] “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me--- [15] just as the Father knows me and I know the Father---and I lay down my life for the sheep. [16] I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. [17] The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life---only to take it up again."

He talked about sheep several different times, and the terminology was used by the early church, as we find in 1 Peter 5:1-4 NIV:

[1] "To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ's sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: [2] Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, watching over them---not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; [3] not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. [4] And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away."

The image of Jesus as our Chief Shepherd is wonderful in that we are all under His care, and He will guide us and direct us to what we need. David refers to the Lord as the Shepherd in Psalm 23, one of his most famous psalms. We enjoy this pastoral idea, and Peter encourages his fellow elders to watch over and serve the flocks they are guiding, and sometimes our leaders can stop there and just think of believers in a church as sheep who need to be fed.  Many of our main-line churches espouse a model that effectively encourages this, with professional pastors, priests or ministers, and the lay congregation.  The leaders are responsible to feeding and nourishing the flock, and while that is wonderful, I think this sometimes limits the understanding and mission of us all as followers of Christ.  Sheep rarely evolve beyond being sheep, but we are also called sons and daughters of God!

Paul pushes us into this idea several times in his writings, and I think the most significant is found in Romans 8:14-17,28-30 NIV:

[14] "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. [17] Now if we are children, then we are heirs---heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." 

[28] "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. [29] For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. [30] And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."

We are not really sheep, we are sons and daughters, and Jesus is the firstborn!  Imagine how we would minister if we thought we were raising up sons and daughters of God, those that had purposes in God to fulfill, and it was our responsibility to identify those gifts, abilities and purposes then equip them and release them into their purposes!  Each son and daughter of God is capable of being a world-changer, as Jesus showed us the way!  We are called to represent Him to this world, and each of us is called as His witness!  

I believe this is why the five-fold (and beyond) ministries are highlighted by Paul. Simply pastoring (shepherding) is not enough to raise sons and daughters!  We must press beyond into real training, and equipping!  Paul writes,  "So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, [12] to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up [13] until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." (Ephesians 4:11-13 NIV).

We are called to mature, to take our positions, to fulfill our destinies, and we can't do that if we are just treated like sheep!  

Lord help us!  

Holy Spirit guide us and cause Your Body, the Church, to begin to mature and grow, that we might effectively represent You, here on the earth! 

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment