Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 27, 2022

Think About This...


My reflection this morning is based on the following two verses from Paul's letter to the Philippians 4:8-9 NIV:

[8] "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable---if anything is excellent or praiseworthy---think about such things. [9] Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me---put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

I was just reading through these verses and Paul's simple encouragement to "think about such things" grabbed my heart and mind.  I started to reflect on those things I think most about, and truthfully, it is not often about the true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy.  Instead I am often in problem solving mode, trying to deal with issues and frustrations which, while part of my job, can be overwhelming at times, and sometimes even become a pattern of thinking. I also spend much of my time thinking about the things that need to get done, again that is part of my job, but again, it can become a pattern of thinking.

As I read Paul's exhortation, I realized that I need to make sure to spend time thinking about the good, lovely, admirable and excellent, etc.  I need to take time, even make time, to give me a chance to think about positive things, about Kingdom things, about the Gospel, and how good the Lord is to me.  I need to remember to take time away from the job focus and thought patterns and think positively.  

As such, I need to cultivate opportunities to digest positive material, to engage in positive conversation, to change the pathway my mind travels.  I am reminded of Mother Theresa, who always had a rosary in her hand, and whose mind at rest defaulted to prayer.  She was always praying in the background, as if there were two tracks to her mind, one that was dealing with the situation in front of her, the other that was praying.  

I remember reading a book in college, I think it was titled "The Way of the Pilgrim" and the main character practised praying the Jesus prayer all day long every day, until it became the underlying thought process, an almost unconscious default for his mind to slide back into when He wasn't thinking about anything else. It was an interesting concept to me and gives me hope that there is more I am capable of than what I am presently experiencing. 

While I may not be able to achieve this level of alternative positive thought and prayer, I can work on making time for me to read, and pray and think differently.  I can make sure to take time to change my thinking, and recognize during the day when my thinking about the struggles and such is becoming my default, and work to change that, by taking my thoughts captive, recognizing that I can control my mind and choosing to think differently.

Lord, help me to embrace these simple words of Paul, and change the  way I think, that I might reflect Your nature, and Your thoughts!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment