Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Commands of the Lord, or Human Tradition (Ideas)?


This morning I am reading from Mark's Gospel.  I love reading of the Gospel's so that I might better know Jesus.  This morning the verses I am reflecting on are from Mark 7:5-13 NIV:

[5] "So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?” 

[6] He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: “ 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. [7] They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.' [8] You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.” 

[9] And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions! [10] For Moses said, 'Honor your father and mother,' and, 'Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.' [11] But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)--- [12] then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. [13] Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

As I was reading through these verses, I had to ask myself if we are doing the same thing in our lives, in our churches, in our "religion"? 

Are we setting aside the commands of God, or are there aspects of the New Covenant (for we are not under the Covenant of the Law anymore) that we are ignoring, modifying or changing for our own convenience, or passed down tradition or ideas?  

When we look at the scriptures and consider the Gospel and the commands of Jesus, the Gospel of Grace, the teachings of the Lord, and the expansion of those teachings by Paul and the other authors of the New Testament,  as directed by the Holy Spirit, do we see a faithful representation of these in our lives, in our churches?

First and foremost, do we Love one another, as Christ loved us? 

Do we lay down our lives for one another?

Do we care for our brothers and sisters when its inconvenient, when we have to forego a want?   

Do we give of our time, our money, our attention to those in need?

Are we willing to be uncomfortable to care for someone?

Do we share out of our resources with those in need?

Are we willing to care for the sick, the downtrodden, the poor?

Do we spend time in deep conversations, about the Lord, and about our lives?

Are we actively engaged in discipling others?

Do we pray for one another?

Can others tell that we are followers of Christ by our love for one another?

Do we study the Word, that we might bring enlightenment to ourselves and to others?

All of the above are based off of the ways Jesus loved His disciples and apostles (at least in my mind). Several of them get outside our "comfort zones" and start tapping into areas where we tend towards selfish concern.

Paul in his letter to the Church in Philippi, exhorted the people to have the same mindset as Christ in the following verses - Philippians 2:3-18 NIV:

[3] "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. [5] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 

[6] Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 

[7] rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 

[8] And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death---even death on a cross! 

[9] Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 

[10] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 

[11] and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 

[12] Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed---not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence---continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, [13] for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. 

[14] Do everything without grumbling or arguing, [15] so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky [16] as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. [17] But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. [18] So you too should be glad and rejoice with me."

Imagine if we all lived putting other's interests before our own! 

Imagine if we valued others above ourselves! 

Don't those last two statements just make your flesh cringe?  They certainly do mine!

I don't want to put other's interests before mine!  Who will take care of me?

I don't want to value others more than I value myself, as I struggle with my own self-worth already!

In many ways, this all comes back to my trust in God, my trust in His ability to be actively engaged in my life!  Jesus spoke about these very things in His sermon on the mount, as recorded by Matthew 6:25-34 NIV:

[25] “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? [26] Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? [27] Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ? 

[28] “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. [29] Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. [30] If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you---you of little faith? [31] So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' [32] For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. [33] But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. [34] Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

As Jesus said, our Father knows my needs,  and will provide them!  All of this comes back to my own heart and faith, and my own fears!  Do I really believe that God will care for me, and meet my needs, if I am concerned first for others?  Do I really believe that in looking to honor others, to express and recognize their value, that I will cared for in this way as well?  Do I believe that if I lay down my life in real and practical ways for my brothers and sisters that the Lord, will take care of me?

In my mind, this seems to be core to our faith walk with the Lord!  

As a church, is this core to our teachings, and our encouragements?  Are we so worried about taking care of people's desire to be entertained, to be made to feel comfortable, that we are letting go of the commands of Jesus and embracing the pattern of worship and teaching that is popular, and tickles people ears?

Oh Lord, help us!

Amen and Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment