Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

God's Mercy and Bridged Service


On Sunday, I was thinking about the mercy of the Lord, and had an analogy pop into my mind that I hadn't thought of previously, so I thought I would jot it down quickly.  I enjoy plumbing the depths of new (to me) revelation, as it often helps me better understand His character and nature.   Jesus was adept at using parables as teaching opportunities, and He often used things that his audience understood from their own personal experience, things like farming, baking bread, and the like.  

As I was saying I was thinking about the Lord's mercy and the idea of bridging of service popped into my head.  Bridging of service is where someone works for a company for several years, leaves that company for a new job and then comes back to that company later as a returning employee, and the company essentially allows them to pick-up where they left off, for things like number of vacation days they had available, based on number of years worked there, pensions, insurance, and other benefits.  

For example, if a person worked at the company 10 years, and because of that was earning 15 days of vacation, instead of the base level of 10, if after 5 years working for another company, when the employee comes back, they are now considered into their 11th year of service, and they resume their vacation earning as an 11 year employee rather than the standard level.  I have never actually had my service bridged, but I know many who have had this experience working for some of the large Telecom companies.  I probably am doing a terrible job of describing the benefits, but suffice it to say it is a very nice benefit.

On Sunday, I felt like the Lord said, "He is so much better than this", and He pointed to the parable of the Prodigal found in Luke 15. This is an incredibly rich story, full of all sorts of wonderful meaning, and today I am just going to look at the restoration of the younger son to his former position and relationship, and authority.  Here are some select verses - Luke 15:11-14,17-24 NIV:

[11] "Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. [12] The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them. 

[13] “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. [14] After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 

[17] “When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! [18] I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. [19] I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.' [20] So he got up and went to his father. 

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. [21] “The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' 

[22] “But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. [23] Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. [24] For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate."

I don't know all the historical significance, nor context for the request the younger son made in verse twelve, but in our present day, people either get their share (inheritance) when a person they know has died, and the person who passed has listed them (in this case the younger son) as having title to some portion of their estate.  It is payable after their death.  We also have a model where a founder will bring in their children and give them control of the company while they are still alive.  In either case, their is a transfer of wealth, and a change in relationship.   

In this story the younger son took his share, and converted it to cash apparently, and then proceeded to blow it all on sinful living. Additionally, he moved away, and was estranged from his father, through his own choice.  For a time he did whatever he wanted to do, but when difficult times came upon them all, he had no real skills, or money left.  He was in a depressed state and rightly understood the cause was his own choice.  This was a critical understanding, so he decides to  go back and beg for mercy from his father, asking for the lowest level of relationship, that of a servant.  His understanding of the Father's heart and character is evident here, or at least his thoughts about the father are evident.  He expects to have to earn his way back, to start over, and to never have the same relationship with His father as before!  He thought his rights as a son were effectively cashed in and spent, terminated by his previous choice.

Suffice it to say that the younger son was completely surprised by the welcome he receives when he returned home.  Rather than starting as a servant, he is immediately restored to his previous relationship, restored to his authority as son and with that relationship all the previous benefits, including an inheritance! As I understand it, the robe signifies favor, the ring authority and legal representation, and the sandals sonship.  Instead of starting over, He is celebrated, honored and restored!  There was no trial period, no 90 day probation, no need to earn back anything, including the Father's trust!  

What a great example of the Father's mercy, compassion and grace!  His son didn't earn it, didn't deserve it, and yet He was fully restored to everything he once had as son, and it was like he never left.

The message is quite clear, if we have walked away from the Father, chosen poorly in our life, and find ourselves in a difficult position, the Father doesn't care, He just wants us back in the family, back in relationship!  He effectively bridged all of the sons benefits and privileges from his previous life and welcomed him back with open arms!  Our Lord is better than any employer, and will treat us as sons and daughters immediately, no waiting, no re-earning trust, no walk of shame, nothing that would suggest any lesser life, or relationship! 

This morning I am once again grateful for the Lord's great mercy, compassion, love and grace!  He always waits and immediately responds when we turn back to Him, no matter how many times, no matter how badly we have rejected Him and His ways!  He is better than employment bridging!

Thank You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment