Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

An Ultra-Marathon of Pursuit


This morning I felt led to read from Nehemiah, chapter twelve.  It is always interesting to read form the Old Testament, and reading it in light of the revelation of Christ.  This morning I am focusing on a few verses at the end of the chapter - Nehemiah 12:44-47 NIV:

[44] "At that time men were appointed to be in charge of the storerooms for the contributions, firstfruits and tithes. From the fields around the towns they were to bring into the storerooms the portions required by the Law for the priests and the Levites, for Judah was pleased with the ministering priests and Levites. [45] They performed the service of their God and the service of purification, as did also the musicians and gatekeepers, according to the commands of David and his son Solomon. [46] For long ago, in the days of David and Asaph, there had been directors for the musicians and for the songs of praise and thanksgiving to God. [47] So in the days of Zerubbabel and of Nehemiah, all Israel contributed the daily portions for the musicians and the gatekeepers. They also set aside the portion for the other Levites, and the Levites set aside the portion for the descendants of Aaron."

While I could spend time looking at the tithes, and contributions, what caught my attention this morning was the statement that begins verse 46, "For long ago in the days of David and Asaph", and I immediately started wondering how long there was between David's rule and the book of Nehemiah.  According to one source ( https://www.biblestudy.org/beginner/timelineot.html) there are 540 years from the end of David's reign until the writing of Nehemiah.  Which is a really long time if you think about it.  If we consider 20 years per generation, that is 27 generations.  If we just did a simple subtraction from this year, that would be 1482, or 10 years before Christopher Columbus discovered America.

Sometimes I think it is important for us to grasp these types of comparisons, to help us understand the long-range perspective of God, and the amazing stickiness of the things God instituted.  Here we have a people committed to pursuing a pattern of life and worship that had been established five centuries earlier, and one that had been passed down from generation to generation with rarely ever being actually put into affect.  Josiah's reforms happened in the 620s, and that is 200 years (10 generations) before this restoration under Nehemiah, and they were following the same pattern of life established by David. I guess we could say that certain parts of that worship, that way of life is still being practiced by the Jews today.  

In a similar way, as Christians we draw our way of life and worship somewhat from what was established 2000 years ago. I say somewhat, for the worship and way of life of most of us does not look much like the life of the early Church as described in the New Testament, but the beliefs and foundations are the same.    

So why does this matter?  In my opinion, it matters because it is on the heart of God!  He established patterns of life that are meant to guide us in our life and pursuit of Him.  The patterns of worship established under David, were meant to provide a pattern of life that was a precursor to the revelation of Christ.  In the same way our life in the New Testament church is meant to be an example of the coming final Kingdom of God.  The pattern of life described in both the old testament and new testament of sacrificial giving, of loving one another, of being part of a nation or people with an identity that supersedes our earthly identity, is important for us to grasp for these are foundational truths in His Kingdom.  We are meant to be part of the family of God, and to have concern for each other as brothers and sisters.  We are destined for an eternal life that this earthly pattern is just a shadow of, according to Paul (Col 2:17) and the author of the Letter to the Hebrews (Heb 8:5; 10:1).  We can easily lose sight of this in our own daily lives, and thus it is  important to continue to press forward in ways that remind us of the greater truths.

Earlier this morning, I was thinking about my daily prayer, and journalling.  I was thinking that its probably not necessary to be so consistent, but as I reflected I realized that for me consistency is important in the embracing and maintaining of these truths in my life.  I am too quick to lose momentum and focus.  I have been journalling consistently for 41 years, and while I could say I don't need to do so anymore, I know myself, and I would quickly lose focus, motivation and finally would choose the easier path.  In chapter 13 of Nehemiah, he goes back and visits after one year and already the people have abandoned much of what was established, so I guess I am not that unusual.  

In summary, this morning I am encouraged to continue pressing onward in pursuing a life-style that cultivates and encourages me in my pursuit of the Lord!  I am encouraged to press on, to continue to keep these truths alive in my heart and mind!  I desire to follow the Lord's command to love one another to the best of my ability!  I desire to be known as a follower of Him, because of my love.

Lord help me to continue pressing onward, to continue to pursue a life focused on and founded on You and Your word!  Help me to take on an ultra-marathon mindset, that this pursuit will continue until the end of my life!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment