Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, December 19, 2022

No Tag-Alongs!


This morning I was reading from Matthew 17, and saw something interesting in how Matthew described the people involved on the Mount of Transfiguration.  To start with, here are a few verses where the twelve disciples are listed - Matthew 10:2-4 NIV:

[2] "These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; [3] Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; [4] Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him."

Here is the way Matthew describes Jesus' companions on His trip up the mountain- Matthew 17:1 NIV:  "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves."

It really isn't a big deal, and probably just related to some clarification that might be needed, but the way Matthew described John as the brother of James made me think that he was the least important of the three companions.  In Matthew's gospel, we see consistently that James is given precedence and listed first, and my guess is that he is the elder brother, and that was likely a sign of respect.  However this time, a point of clarification really didn't seem necessary, there were two James's not two John's in the twelve disciples, so if we needed clarification as to which person James son of Zebedee or James son of Alpheus, that would have made sense.  Instead we see John listed, and described as the "brother of James".

Maybe its my sensitivity at being a second born and being compared to my older brother, or maybe its just a projection from my own mind, but it seems that John, son of Zebedee, was often the "tag-along", or in this case the "fourth-wheel".  We think, based on tradition that he was the youngest of the Apostles, and that fact alone would have been one of the reasons that he was listed later, as their society was very aware of birth-order and such.  

As I was writing this, I wondered if there was a possible parallel between the Parable of the Prodigal and James and John?  Peter and Andrew never seem to have any real relational comparisons, and one wonders if some of the issues with John were related to his history?  Again this is all conjecture and pure speculation, but what I am tracking this morning is the how we sometimes judge or label others based on their history, their age, their position, and we never reevaluate our decision (judgement or label).  Sometimes we only relate to someone through another, never directly, and in those cases we would refer to them in a similar fashion to Matthew's listing of John as the bother of James, as if he really didn't matter that much, and that was his only significance.

What really is in focus this morning, is how we think about our self, and how we relate to the Lord?  In John's Gospel, he several times included notes that indicated his significance to Jesus, his intimacy, his closeness and the depth of his relationship.  Whether He wrote those to help dissuade other opinions of him gathered from reading the other gospels, we don't know.  What we do know if that he felt that he had a very special relationship with Jesus, and called himself "the disciple who Jesus loved" (John 13:23).

It is my experience that the Lord wants each and every one of us to have this same perspective.  We are all invited to have a direct relationship with Him, where we are the center of His attention and affection!  Sometimes, we can compare ourselves to others, or even relate to the Lord through others, or through events, but I KNOW that He desires direct relationship where we intimately know of His love for us! 

I am reminded of my dad's most significant faith experience when one day he heard the Lord tell him that He loved him.  It affected the remaining course of his life (50 or so years) and this was his last journal entry  - "It's beyond my understanding as to how you know, care for, love and help each one who accepts that love - to me individually, an intimate relationship.  You love me, Gene Hall, and care for me as much as I let you - a one to one relationship, and because you are God - you are able to do that with each individual - Wow!  Thank you God for loving me - Gene Hall - here and now..."

I love the fact that my Dad knew He was loved uniquely by the Lord!  

I, in my own way, share this same knowledge and similar experience.

It is my belief that the Lord wants each of us to have this perspective, to know His intimate and personal love!  

There are no second class citizens in the Kingdom and family of God.  We all have the opportunity and availability of a one on one, personal relationship with Him, that is unique to us!  We are not just somebody's brother or sister, or some person who will only ever be on the fringes of relationship, nor too sinful, too broken, too hurt, too wounded, too far-gone, too whatever!!!  He is desirous of direct relationship.

As Jesus said, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." ( John 14:23 NIV).  I like the King James version of this translation - "and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."  

If you want to experience intimacy with someone and know someone completely, live with them, and that is clearly the Lord's intention!  

So this is my reflection today!  We are each encouraged to pursue intimate relationship with the Lord! He doesn't have any second-class followers!  None of us are relegated to the "only-through-somebody-else" or tag-along level of relationship!  He loves and knows each of us uniquely!  He desires to come and make His abode, His dwelling place, His home with us.  He wants us to know that we are loved just as we are!  

Thank you for loving me Lord, just as I am, one to one, here and now!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment