Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Action and Love


This morning I felt led to read from Matthew 7:7-12 NIV:

[7] “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. [8] For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. [9] “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? [10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? [11] If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! [12] So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

The first thing I noticed in reading this, was that I read almost the same thing yesterday, but Luke's version, so apparently for me this is the theme for this week, and good one at that.  Again, its hard not to be encouraged when reading Jesus' encouragement to pray, to seek, knock and ask.  

The second thing I noticed was that the last sentence didn't seem to fit thematically with the rest of the paragraph.  It seems that Jesus just tags on that thought about caring for others like we want to be cared for, and He uses the word "do", to indicate this is action.  The Greek word used by Matthew is poieó:

Definition: to make, do

Usage: (a) I make, manufacture, construct, (b) I do, act, cause

In other words, this is not thinking nice thoughts, but actively engaging, being productive, and doing so towards others.  

The thing I think is interesting is that Jesus tied these two themes together, as one is related to the other.  Is it possible our answered prayers are related to our care of others?  If the Father is caring, giving, responding, and asking us to do the same, is that how it works?  Earlier in the chapter Jesus was talking about judging others, and how if we judge, we will be judged using the exact same measure (See Matt 7:1-5).  It is clear that our actions can impact our own treatment, at least that is how I read these verses.  

This definitely makes me think.  Am I expecting something from God, that I am unwilling to extend to others?  Am I more concerned about the answers to my prayers, than I am about those in need around me?  

Jesus then makes a very interesting statement, saying this "do unto others as you would have them do to you" sums up the Law and Prophets.  As New covenant people we don't need to concern ourselves so much about that, but the new command that Jesus gave in John 13 is very similar, except He uses His example, rather than our own desired treatment as the measure.

John 13:34-35 NIV:

[34] “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Add to this the following statement by Jesus - John 14:21 NIV:  "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

It is such an interesting equation of love and action, and directly related to what Jesus was saying in these verses from Matthew's Gospel.  Our care for others, our love for them, in active and expressive ways, is directly related to our experience of God's love in our own lives.  

The danger here is keeping score, as in religion, for Jesus is speaking about relationships. If we keep score in our relationships, we are actually just judging the other.  Jesus in using His own example of love as our measure, is saying that we must love sacrificially, giving everything!  We don't give to get, we give because we love! 

Oh Lord, help me to embrace these encouragements today.  Help me to look beyond my own need to see the needs of others around me, and help me to love in real and active ways.  Help me to look to You, knowing that as I love others, You will love me!

Amen and Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment