Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Like-Mindedness vs. Selfishness


This morning I reflecting on two short verses from Peter's first letter.  Here are the verses - 1 Peter 3:8-9 NIV:

[8] "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. [9] Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

As usual for me, my focus is on relationship these days.  Peter is clearly addressing the body and encouraging us to embrace one another, to have relationships with one another that are characterized by sympathy, love, compassion, humility and like-mindedness.  I was immediately drawn to the encouragement to be like-minded, and wanted to understand exactly what Peter is saying here.  We can take this encouragement several ways, so I figured I would go to the Greek to understand the base meaning. Here is a word help I found on-line:

3675 homóphrōn (from 3674 /homoú, "same as" and 5424 /phrḗn, "inner outlook as regulating outward behavior") – properly, share the same perspective, i.e. like-minded; for believers, this means living in one accord ("having the same mind"). This Spirit-produced unity (agreement) results from receiving God's inworkings of faith ("His persuasions").

(see https://biblehub.com/greek/3675.htm)

If we take the literal translation, "having the same inner outlook regulating outward behavior" I think we are well served.  This doesn't mean to think the exact same thoughts.  This doesn't mean everyone is of the exact same opinion.  It seems to mean that we all have a similar internal perspective, think eternal mind-set, which in turn drives our external behavior.  Saying it another way, we all have the same hope set before us, that of eternal life and our kingdom citizenship, and because of that hope and identity, we act differently.

As fellow members of the Kingdom of God, as brothers and sisters in His family, our attitude towards one another should take on the characteristics Peter lists; sympathy, love, compassion and humility.  Our mindset should affect our outward behavior.  If our behavior is not colored by sympathy, love, compassion and humility, then we probably need to spend some time understanding why this is the case?  

I find that most of my internal struggle is related to my own selfishness, which at its core is me thinking I know better than God.  Selfishness is such an ugly thing.  When wallowing in it, I think my needs and wants are more important than pretty much anything else.  It can also masquerade as self-pity, as in no one else knows my personal situation, my personal pain, all the things I have gone through, etc.  However it manifests, my eyes are turned inward, rather that towards the Lord and His perspective, and I end up making poor decisions. 

There is a saying that you can't see the forest for the trees in front of you, which speaks of having a bigger perspective.  Selfishness is more like, you can't see others because you are always looking in the mirror.

Peter's encouragement this morning is to have a different perspective, to look around to see others, to have sympathy, love, compassion and humility in our dealing with and treatment of others.  What a wonderful encouragement, even though it costs us our own selfish perspective.

The second verse is probably even more difficult, to return blessing to those that insult us or do evil to us.  I am reminded of some of the last words of Jesus, quoted here in Luke 23:34 NIV: "Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots."  Stephen echoed this as He was being stoned saying, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them .” ( Acts 7:60 NIV).  Wow, talk about returning blessing for evil!   

In both cases, Jesus and Stephen were not looking at their own situation, instead they were looking to Heaven, looking to the Father and having compassion, and mercy on their assailants.  They were clearly helped by the Holy Spirit, and He should be our help as well.  We don't naturally want to return blessing for curses or evil, but this is our call and encouragement in the Lord!  We are called to be like Him, and this is included.

Oh Lord, help me to be more like You, to see myself in light of my relationship with You.  Help me to entrust my needs to you, that I might see those around me as I turn away from the mirror of selfishness!  Help me to represent You through love, mercy, compassion, sympathy and forgiveness.

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment