Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, July 31, 2023

We Are A Sign!


This morning I was reading from Paul's letter to the church in Philippi, and saw something that got me thinking.  Here are the verses - Philippians 3:1-6 NIV:

[1] "Further, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you. [2] Watch out for those dogs, those evildoers, those mutilators of the flesh. [3] For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh--- [4] though I myself have reasons for such confidence. 

If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: [5] circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; [6] as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.:"

Verse three is the verses that caught my attention this morning, and I know I have read to multiple times, this morning it just stood out to me, maybe because I have been reflecting on Pau's letter to the Galatians, where is talking about the circumcision party.  Regardless of why, I find it interesting that Paul describes us gentile believers as "the circumcision".  I don't think I have ever heard the Church described as "The Circumcision" before!  

Immediately I started wondering, "Why Circumcision?"  I know it was instituted as a sign of God's covenant with Abraham and his offspring (See Gen. 17:11), but that doesn't answer the why question.  I came across and interesting article on this very topic - ( https://www.christianitytoday.com/behemoth/2016/issue-47-april-28-2016/why-did-god-choose-circumcision.html ) and will summarize it as indicating a willingness to die to our flesh that we might live for God forever.  It is the sign of being a covenant people.  There is clearly much more to this covenant and sign than I just summarized, but I think it quite astounding that Paul says we, the New Covenant believer, are "The Circumcision"!  

In thinking more about this, it is not our willingness to die to ourselves that qualifies us to be a covenant people.  Our physical sign, is Jesus, and His willingness to die for us all, and it is His actual death and resurrection that qualifies us as partakers of this new covenant!  This effectively replaces the Abrahamic covenant, which was before the covenant of the Law, and this time the one who is righteous is Jesus, the one who lays down His life!  

One wonders if the Apostles understood, at the Last Supper, what Jesus was really saying when He instituted the sharing of His Body and Blood?  He gave them a new covenant (see Luke 22:19-20) and then a new commandment (John 13:34), and while not quite as spectacular as on Mount Sinai covered with smoke and lightning and thunder, here we have the very Son of God, present and laying down His life, offering Himself for us all!  This was of a far greater significance, and Paul is right to defend this new covenant! 

Going back to the phrase "For it is we who are the circumcision" Paul is saying our identity is as a sign of God's covenant, the visible sign of His Promise being fulfilled, and it is proved by the Holy Spirit.  We are supposed to be a sign, and I am reminded of Jesus' comments right after giving the new commandment, John 13:35 NIV:  "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”  Our Love for one another, our walking in the power of the Holy Spirit, our being sent to all nations are all the fulfillment of this new Covenant, initiated by our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  We are right to boast in Him, for He personally has made a way for us all to be "the circumcision".  

Lord, I know I have only scratched the surface on this truth.  Help me to better understand all that this entails, and what it means for me.  I know we are supposed to be a sign!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment