Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

The Lord Shepherds Us

This morning I was reading from Luke 9,  and it is an amazingly full chapter.  Jesus sends out the 12 to minister, feeds the 5000, takes Peter, James and John up to the Mount of Transfiguration, heals the epileptic boy that the disciples are unable to heal, twice speaks about His impending death,  Peter declares Him Messiah, they experience opposition from the Samaritans, they argue about who is the greatest, He calls them to be servant-leaders, and He tells the disciples there will be a cost to following Him.  Wow!  

Each of those sections could easily be the source of some rich meditation and revelation, however this morning as I rested on the Word and listened I felt like the Lord wanted me to view the chapter as more of a whole, rather than separating out a section.  Looking at the overarching themes, I would say we see  maybe four or five depending on how I break them out.

1) The Lord is in control and knows what He is doing and where things will end up.

2) The Lord was preparing the disciples to hand over His ministry to them.

3) The radical call of Jesus is to follow Him, to represent Him, to lay down our lives and plans, to embrace His plan which is better, and we can trust Him to provide.

4) In the midst of all, His Lordship over everything is evident and revealed, and the Father's backing is clear!  

5) The enemy brings resistance, and sometimes following Him will be difficult.

As I was letting all of this settle in my heart, I felt like the one message for me this morning was that even though the call may be to lay down my life and at times that will be difficult, yet in doing so, I would experience His provision, His Lordship, His authority and power, His glory, and His pleasure!  I feel like He wants me to know that He has it covered, that I can entrust myself and my future into His hands, choosing to follow Him wherever He leads. 

He will provide the training, authority and power to do what He calls me to do.

He can multiply that which I give Him into sustenance for me, and thousands of others 

He will speak prophetically into my life, and if I listen, in time it will make sense.

He will reveal Himself, and bring encouragement when I need it!

It will likely challenge me and be difficult, but He is for me, and is Faithful.

Finally, the coming of His Kingdom is the message, and what I am called to proclaim and demonstrate.

This morning I am encouraged where I find myself and see a wider picture of the Lord's work in my own life, as well as a wider call.  I am so grateful for His gentle leading and guiding in my life.  I am definitely not always aware, and regularly stumble, but He is faithful, and He has plans, and He will provide the guidance and sustenance I need!  He really is the Good Shepherd!   In light of that, I should finish with the 23rd Psalm:

Psalm 23:1-6 NIV

[1] The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 

[2] He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 

[3] he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake. 

[4] Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

[5] You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 

[6] Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


Thank You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment