Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, August 12, 2023

Diagnosis From Love


Yesterday I was reflecting on the story of the rich young man, and after finishing my time of prayer and reflection I had one more quick revelation that was worth thinking about today.  It is based on the same verses from Mark 10:17-23 NIV:

[17] As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 

[18] “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good---except God alone. [19] You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.' ” 

[20] “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.” 

[21] Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 

[22] At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. 

[23] Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

My main focus is verse 21 this morning, the look of Jesus, and His response.   

The young man was clearly a fervent and good man.  He RAN up to Jesus and this to me indicates a passion and desire.  He recognizes Jesus' authority and wisdom in coming to Him.  I think we can say that he was pursuing God to the best of his ability, but wanted to do more if required. 

Jesus must have stopped and welcomed the young man, for they engaged in a bit of conversation.  Jesus fully understanding the desire in the young man, seeing his passion and zeal, recognizing his obedience to the precepts of the law, looked at him and loved him!  I am not sure how that was evident, but Mark makes it clear that there is a place in Jesus' heart for this young man.  The Greek word Agape is used here, and this is the love that is deeper than brotherly love.  This is the Love that is spoken in the new Commandment Jesus gives in John 13.  A good world help I found describes it as follows: 

"With the believer, 25 /agapáō ("to love") means actively doing what the Lord prefers, with Him (by His power and direction). True 25 /agapáō ("loving") is always defined by God – a "discriminating affection which involves choice and selection" (WS, 477). 1 Jn 4:8,16,17 for example convey how loving ("preferring," 25 /agapáō) is Christ living His life through the believer."

It is important to note, that this fact that Jesus loves the young man is clear before Jesus speaks the next words.  For the next words are Jesus' diagnosis of the young man's life, in his pursuit of God.  The diagnosis was painful, for Jesus correctly identified the one thing that was holding  the young man back from his pursuit of God was his riches!  The man walked away, for the diagnosis was to much for him!

The picture I saw yesterday was one of a doctor coming in and announcing the diagnosis to a patient with cancer, one who required life saving but painful surgery.  The doctor understands fully the suffering and pain, the affected life this patient is walking into, but it is necessary.  He provides the diagnosis from a place of care, mercy, and empathy.

The next picture I saw was the Lord looking at me, loving me, and telling me the things that are keeping me back, that I am unwilling to lay down, that I might know Him.  It is always communicated in an abundance of love, understanding, and mercy.  He desires for me to follow Him, to let old ways fall by the wayside, that I might press forward in love and pursuit of Him.  

He loves me.

He diagnoses me.

He invites me to follow Him.

He is for me in the midst of all of the struggle, the dying to myself, in my suffering. 

His desire is relationship with me, and what He tells me is to help me!

My question today is what does He see when He looks at me?

Oh Lord, help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment