Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, August 25, 2023

What is My Motivation?


This morning I felt like I should read from Mark's Gospel.  Here are the verses I am reflecting on today - Mark 7:1-8 NIV:

[1] "The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus [2] and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. [3] (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. [4] When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles. ) 

[5] So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?” 

[6] He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: “ 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. [7] They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.' 

[8] You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

As I was reading this, I was very aware of the specific language that Mark used calling these things the "tradition of the elders", and making sure that point was emphasized, for that was what Jesus responded to, the greater concern for things of man than things of God.  Those verses from Isaiah are just brutal, especially when we consider the whole goal of God's actions was to have relationship!   The Jews were no longer interested in relationship, but rather in the following of their own rules, for their hearts were far from God!  

As I read these things, I wonder how much of our church liturgical expression is from our hearts, and how much is just the "tradition of the elders"?

Are our hearts stirred for love and relationship with the Lord, or are our hearts and attentions on other things?

Do we talk like followers of Christ, but our actions and affections are on other things?

Do we gather around a practice and a set of rules, or do we gather out of love and affection for the Lord?

Have we let our affection and love for the Lord grow cold?

I am reminded of the two greatest commandments, as described by Jesus in Mark 12:29-31 NIV:

[29] “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. [30] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' [31] The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these.”

The core of both of these commandments is love, and relationship.  We are called to press into relationship, not follow a list of rules passed down by our fathers.  God's desire is that we know Him, and respond to Him our of that place of relationship!  Jesus himself made the order very clear, relationship first, which provides the motivation for actions.  I am reminded of a His words in John 14:15,21 NIV:

[15] “If you love me, keep my commands." 

[21] "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

It seems to me that we have often forgotten about verse 15, and only remember verse 21.   We think the way to show our love of God is the following of rules and commands, but it is the loving relationship that is the foundation of our desire to follow His commands, that is the motivation for any change in our behaviour.  We are invited to love and be loved!  

This morning I am encouraged to look at my motivation, at my reason for my actions!  Am I just following what I have been taught, or am I responding from a place of relationship?

Oh Lord help us to put relationship with You first!  Help me to respond from a place of love and affection in my pursuit of You!  Help me to set my heart fully on You!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment