Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Theology AND Relationship


This morning I have been thinking back over my life, and the constant invitation from the Lord to grow deeper, to know Him more.  I was thinking about the difference between theology and relationship.  Theology is the study of God or as Webster's defines it: "the study of religious faith, practice, and experience : the study of God and God's relation to the world"  This is all good, but God is an individual, a personage, with characteristics, thoughts, emotions, Spirit and beyond. 

If someone were to write a book about me, so that everyone could study to understand my character and my relation to the world, while they could capture the main points, they could never accurately portray who I actually am.   My inner-thoughts are unknown except by myself and God, and many of my actions and interactions are again only known by myself, God, and one or two others who might have observed that specific moment.  Trying to write a definitive report on Sam Hall would be impossible from the outside.  I could give years of interviews and still not cover my whole life and motivations.

My point is that God is much more than what we can learn from studying theology!  He is meant to be known relationally, and for each of us, how we know Him, will in some respect be unique, for we are unique. 

Again taking a natural example, my Mom knows me differently than my siblings, who know me differently than my wife, who knows me differently than my children, who know me differently than my co-workers, who know me differently than my neighbors, etc. 

There must be understanding and allowance for us to know God, personally and individually!

I am reminded of the great invitation Jesus gives to the rich young man, found in Mark 10:18-21 NIV:

[18] “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good---except God alone. [19] You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.' ”

[20] “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

[21] Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

I love the note Mark adds, "Jesus looked at him and loved him" and issued the invitation, "come and follow me".  The Greek word literally means to come and walk the same road, especially as a disciple.  The young man had the actions, he just didn't have relationship, and that was the invitation! 

Oh, that we would embrace that invitation, and choose to walk with the Lord! 

Lord, help us to embrace knowing about You, but help us press past knowing about You to actually knowing You!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment