Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Whatever I Do, In Word Or Deed


This morning I was continuing my reading from Paul's letter to the Colossians.  I do enjoy reading large chunks of the Bible, as it helps to provide a larger canvas of thought and perspective that you sometimes don't see if you are just reading a couple verses per day.  Anyway, I was reading in the third chapter, going over some familiar verses and one particular verse caught my attention.  Here are that verses and some additional verses for context - Colossians 3:15-17,23-24 NIV:

[15] "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. [16] Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. [17] And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." 

[23] "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, [24] since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

The verse that I am focused on today is seventeen, and the reality of what Paul wrote just registered with me in a new way, specifically "do it in the name of the Lord Jesus."  This really caused me to stop and consider my daily activities, what I do for work, and in my leisure, how I daily spend my time, my waking hours.  Paul's encouragement is that whatever we do, whatever we say, we do this in Jesus name.  As in, 'we do and say these things as if we were directly representing Jesus'.  

That certainly caused me to stop and reflect, for I would say that some number of my daily activities, words and thoughts, would not be found in Jesus, would not be endorsed by Jesus, and thus could not "done in Jesus' name"!  

If I take this thought and apply it to my present job and employer, in my day I work for my company 8-10 hours and during those hours I am conscious that I am working for my company and my words (my emails, and texts) and actions are being done in the name of my company.  However, during off hours, or on breaks, I have time to spend the way I want, or in my name, representing my own personally wants, needs and ideas.  

Paul is saying that all of this, both work time and personal time should be lived with the same thought, that I am doing all in the name of Jesus!  Whatever I do, whether in word or deed, that I do it in the name of the Lord Jesus.  

It is not that I am actively engaged in criminal activity, or even specifically sinful behaviour or thoughts, its just that I am often NOT doing things in the name of Jesus, but rather in my own name.  I am not thinking, "is this something the Lord would want me to do?"  I am not reflecting on my thoughts and actions when I am awake, considering whether they would represent what Jesus would be doing if He was in my shoes.

The net that Paul casts is wide here, not just when I am at church or engaged in some Kingdom activity, but whatever I do or say, as in everything.  This is not rocket science, and I have certainly read these verses before and even reflected on them, but today I felt a particular bite to the words.  It is not a harsh correction, more like the love nips my cat gives me what I am petting him in the wrong way.  

Today I am greatly encouraged to really consider all my thoughts, all my deeds, all my work, all my leisure, all my waiting, all my doing, and in doing so making sure that I am doing them in the name of the Lord Jesus, to the best of my ability.

Lord help me!  Holy Spirit remind me!  

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment