Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, April 13, 2024

Let Us Love One Another!


The last three days I have been stuck on these verses from Paul.  These have been verses that I come back to over and over again, helping me to maintain a right focus and mindset.  Here are the verses - Philippians 2:1-8 NIV:

[1] "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, [2] then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. [3] Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. [5] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 

[6] Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 

[7] rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 

[8] And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death---even death on a cross!"

Every time I read thee verses I am reminded of the significance of the people around me, and really of every person.  Paul's encouragement is really just an extension of Jesus' new commandment found in John 13:34-35 NIV:  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

This was so important that Jesus reiterated the command two more times in John 15:12,17 NIV:

[12] "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." 

[17] "This is my command: Love each other."

I just did a quick review of the words "love one another" in the New Testament and I was actually a bit blown away by the consistency of this message.  Here are several of the times it is used:

Romans 12:10 NIV: "Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves."

Romans 13:8 NIV: "Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law."

Galatians 5:13 NIV: "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh ; rather, serve one another humbly in love."

Ephesians 4:2-3 NIV:  "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. [3] Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."

1 Thessalonians 4:9 NIV: "Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other."

Hebrews 10:24-25 NIV: "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, [25] not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another---and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

1 Peter 1:22 NIV: "Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart."

1 Peter 3:8 NIV: "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble."

1 John 3:11 NIV:  "For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another."

1 John 3:23 NIV: "And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us."

1 John 4:7 NIV: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God."

2 John 1:5-6 NIV:  "And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. [6] And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love."

I find my heart strongly moved by this theme, this command, this encouragement!  we can get so caught up in so many things, but I believe the simplicity of this command, that we would love one another, should be always be forefront in our minds, and evident in our actions.  We must bring this back to the qualifier of Jesus new command, that we love the way He loved!  That we would love one another in humility!

Oh that the Church would be known for its love!  Oh that the Kingdom of Heaven would advance in love!  Oh that the love of God would sweep across this world!!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment