Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, December 22, 2011

No Room

A couple of evenings ago I was reading in John 8 and verse 37 just grabbed my attention.  It reads: "... Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word."  I was struck by this seemingly strange phrase that Jesus spoke.  It is a radical reaction by the Jews, and Jesus explanation of the reason was thought provoking to say the least.  I re-read the previous few chapters, to see what 'word' Jesus was referring to in His statement.  

Jesus has been speaking about coming down from Heaven, of His relationship with the Father, and His knowledge of Him.  To the Jews who were waiting for a king/messiah who was more in line with King David, the thought that Jesus could actually be the Son of God was untenable.  They weren't waiting for God to visit them, they were waiting for a mighty man.  If Jesus were the Son of God, then His words would have the same authority as the Word of God they held so sacred in their scriptures.  The things He was saying should be embraced with equal weight as the Ten Commandments.  This revelation would upset their highly polished religious life, or even their normal every day life.  They were fine with a new leader who would rescue them from the Roman's, but God in their midst was more than they could handle, or wrap their minds around.  So, they decided the easiest thing to do would be to kill Him, rejecting Him and His words.

I was thinking of how crazy that response was when they were face to face with their savior.  As I was thinking this, I felt the Lord shed a little light on my own response to His Words to me.  I realized that I have not always treated His words to me as if they were spoken from God, but rather have thought of them as more like suggestions.  I realized I was deciding, based on the impact His words might have in my life, whether I would respond to them accordingly.  In other words, I wasn't making room for His Word. Ouch! 

Lord, I pray that you will help me to rightly respond to Your Word, and make room for Your Word in my life! 

As we remember Jesus birth, and how there was no room in the inn (Luke 2:7) lets set our hearts on making room for Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment