Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Presents or Presence?

I found myself reading through Jeremiah 50:7 this morning.  It reads, "Whoever found them devoured them; their enemies said, ‘We are not guilty, for they sinned against the LORD, their true pasturethe LORD, the hope of their fathers."  The phrase  'the Lord, their true pasture' really grabbed my attention so I started thinking about what that really meant.  A pasture is a place of rest and provision, or food.    I was reminded of two verses, the first is John 6:35, "Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."  The second verse is Matt 11:28,  where Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

I was thinking of how Israel was constantly forgetting that it was God who was responsible for the blessings and miracles they had seen.  In Lev. 26:1-13  God warns them to remember His blessings and be obedient, and He will continue to bless them and walk among them.  In other words, obedience will bring presents and His presence.  Jesus said a very similar thing in John 14:23, "Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."  What an amazing statement - God will actually take up residence with us.  Our obedience to Him is what enables this living situation.  Israel's sin was that they constantly wandered away from God with their hearts.  They enjoyed the gifts, but never fell in love with, or really understood the one who gave the gifts.

I was reminded as I was thinking through all this, of being a child and waiting for my grandparents to come for Christmas.  I was always excited to see them, but in truth, I was probably more excited to see what gift they brought for me. I was more interested in their presents, than in their presence.  Now that they are gone, I wish I would have spent more time with them, getting to know them, for they were the real treasure!  In the same way - God is the treasure!  He is so good and loving that He always brings good things, but we should not become distracted by the presents and miss His presence!

I was wondering how often I have gone to church, and been satisfied with the presents (good worship, or good preaching) and never really focused on His presence!  God help me to have the right perspective this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment