Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

God's Heart for the Lonely and Bound-up

This morning I was reading Psalm 68, which a grand psalm about the greatness of God. I was caught by one verse in particular though... Psalm 68:6 NIV:"God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land."

Young's Literal Translation says it slightly differently, which is more in line with the original Hebrew: "God -- causing the lonely to dwell at home, Bringing out bound ones into prosperity, Only --the 'rebellious' have inhabited a dry place." They actually use refractory instead of rebellious, but the word means the same.

Anyway, breaking it down, God cares for the lonely. He desires to place them in families, in a home, where they are no longer lonely.

As I read the first part of the verse, I thought of all the troubled children, foster children, the orphans, especially the older children who are looking for a home, and I see God's heart for them. I thought of all the people who are single, not of their choice, who long for husbands or wives, for children, and I see God's heart for them. God is all about relationships, and we are meant to be in them and have a place of belonging and purpose. Lord, I cry out to you for all the people who are lonely, that You would cause them to dwell in a home of love and significance.

The second part, on first read in the NIV, doesn't seem to get to the real point. The original language, again more clear in YLT, is speaking of those who are bound, who are captive to something. God sets them free, He redeems them, and leads them out. Whether its financial burdens, emotional chains, scars and wounds from one's past, God is capable of setting all free, and bringing them to a place of prosperity, promise or plenty. In this context, the picture of the prisoners being led out with singing does say it all, they are free and their hearts must sing. Lord, I pray that You might set people free and release them from their captivity, that they might be led to a place of promise, plenty and prosperity.

Finally the verse ends with an admonition to heed the Lord, to listen to His direction and follow it. Those that don't, those that rebel against the Lord, end up living in a barren waste land, of self imposed lack. God's desire for us is blessing and relationship, and He is not the cause of their presence-less existence. When we do not trust the Lord, we choose a path that does not lead to life, for that is always the direction He leads us along.

Finishing these thoughts with Psalm 23 - this is how the Lord desires to operate in our lives!

Psalm 23:1-6 NIV
[1] The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
[2] He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
[3] he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
[4] Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
[5] You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
[6] Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment