Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, July 7, 2014

Sin and Punishment Revisited


This morning I continue my reading around the topic of sin, not one of my favorite subjects, but something that is important to understand. I was thinking about a common quote regarding sins of the fathers being visited to the third or fourth generation. This comes from the Old Testament, and was last written in the 10 commandments in Deuteronomy 5:8-10 NIV:

“You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. [9] You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, [10] but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

The interesting thing is that many of us still quote this, when this is clearly Old Testament, and not even the final word of the Lord on the mater of sin. In Ezekiel, He again addresses this topic, but with one important change - God does not punish anyone but the sinner, and even then provides the opportunity to repent - Ezekiel 18:18-23 NIV:

[18] "But his father will die for his own sin, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people.

[19] “Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. [20] The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

[21] “But if a wicked person turns away from all the sins they have committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, that person will surely live; they will not die. [22] None of the offenses they have committed will be remembered against them. Because of the righteous things they have done, they will live. [23] Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?"

So how does the church hold onto the idea of generational sin, as if it is visited to the third or fourth generation, or even the idea that God's desire is to see us punished for sins, when even in the Old Testament book of Ezekiel God is continuing to bring revelation of His true heart towards all of us? He doesn't take pleasure in punishment, but rather rejoices in repentance and remembers none of the offenses they have committed if they have repented and brings none of the punishment to bear.

Note: It is important to note that this is not talking about the consequences of sin, in the same way there are consequences to any bad decision, it is the same with sin.

I believe that much of the thinking today regarding God and sin is actually from the enemy trying to color God as vengeful and enjoying punishment, when that is actually his character. The enemy tries to deceive us and convince us that God is angry, vengeful and just waiting to punish us for our sins, when the exact opposite is actually true. As Father Kevin O'Brien says in his book, "...the enemy is repulsive, harsh, and seeks only to deceive and enslave people, Christ is inviting, gentle, and desires only to liberate people to love God and serve others. Both want to rule the world, but in different ways and for different reasons."

Let us listen to the Gospels and the message of Christ. Let us look to His example of the Father's heart and let us embrace His love, mercy and compassion and desire for our repentance. He is the most loving being in the world, and any other characterization of Him is not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment