Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Proclaim the Kingdom, Bring Nothing...

This morning my Bible opened to the following passages - Luke 9:1-6, 10-11 NIV:

[1] "When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, [2] and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. [3] He told them: “Take nothing for the journey---no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. [4] Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. [5] If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” [6] So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.

[10] When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus what they had done. Then he took them with him and they withdrew by themselves to a town called Bethsaida, [11] but the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and healed those who needed healing."

Every time I read passages like these my heart is quickened to Jesus' message about the Kingdom and His demonstration of the Kingdom by healing.  The two are completely connected. He proclaimed the Kingdom and healed the sick (verse 11).  He sends out the twelve and tells them to "proclaim the Kingdom of God and heal the sick" (verse 2).  Proclamation AND demonstration are essential to the advance of the Kingdom, and the church for that matter.

Secondly, when I read these verses this morning I was thinking about verses 3-5, for they are an interesting command in relation to the proclamation of the Kingdom.  There is a simplicity to this call which goes against most of our natural inclinations.  He didn't want them to be overly prepared, or even marginally prepared.  They were to set out with nothing.  This simplicity, I think, underlies the importance of humility in the proclamation of the Kingdom.  It is the exact opposite of what an earthly King would command his ambassadors to do, for when they traveled it was usually with some sort of royal retinue.  Jesus is providing a stark contrast for all to see.  Humility and simplicity are some of the characteristics of the proclamation of the Kingdom. The good thing about this command is that it qualifies everyone to be sent, at least from a materials perspective. There can be no material excuse, no reason to hold back from going if you are to bring nothing.

Another perspective is that this  command required them to depend on the Father, in faith, for their provision and place of rest.  This is also not in line with our natural inclination, at least I know it isn't for me.  I am a fairly capable individual, and I am a planner.  To go on a trip with nothing, no food, no money, no extra clothes, no bag, nothing would never be my choice.  I have means to provide all that for myself, so to do anything different would require some serious faith.  I can just imagine them getting all pumped up when Jesus gives them authority and power to drive out demons and cure diseases, and then the utter confusion when Jesus tells them to take nothing.  I like these human moments, for they show how well Jesus knows us.  We need to learn to rely totally on the Lord, for the power and authority to do what He has called us to do, but also for the mundane things like daily food and shelter.  God is fully capable of providing both, and sometimes the miracles that stand out most are the ways He meets even our simplest needs like food.

I am reminded of a time where the Lord was introducing me to this concept, and He asked me to ask Him for my food.  One Sunday I was out of food and rather than going to the store I prayed, asking God for my food.  I was stepping out in faith just a little bit, and within 5 minutes a friend of mine called me and asked if I wanted to come over for steaks.  I couldn't believe how the Lord had provided so easily.  This friend had never before called me to ask me if I wanted to come over for dinner, nor had we even discussed anything somewhat related.  It was completely unanticipated and unexplainable, other than to know that Father wanted me to understand His ability to provide.

I believe this is part of the message of the Kingdom - we can proclaim it, but we bring nothing, He provides everything.  Too often we are tempted to add our ideas and baggage to the message of the Kingdom, and the Lord wants it pure and simple.  He doesn't want people wowed by our cars, our clothes, our lifestyles, our abilities.  He wants people wowed by the reality of the Kingdom.

Oh Lord, I pray that the simplicity and pureness of this example would be rediscovered by Your church.  Help us to learn to lean into You, to rely on You, and to reveal You, Your Kingdom and Your power and authority to all.  Lord help us to learn that the Kingdom is best advanced by proclamation AND demonstration, and help us to walk in Your authority and power to do so.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment