Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

When the Lord Intends to Visit

Last night I actually read my Bible a little before sleeping.  It's been a while since I did that.  I was reading from Luke 9 and specifically was thinking about the story of how the Samaritans rejected His plans to visit their town.  Here are the specific verses - Luke 9:51-56 NIV:

[51] "As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. [52] And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; [53] but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. [54] When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them ?” [55] But Jesus turned and rebuked them. [56] Then he and his disciples went to another village."

My first thought when reading this was that this probably could go down in the history of bad decisions, as near the top.  Jesus wants to visit and spend time in your town and you tell him no thank you.  The one who heals all the sick, deals with all the demonized, cleanses lepers, heals the blind, and whose visit brings hundreds of people who buy food and need shelter (revenue) and you say no.  Just not very smart in my opinion.

It says they rejected Him because He was headed to Jerusalem, and this is definitely one reason for rationalizing their decision.  The Jews and Samaritans had a long standing feud over where to worship, how to worship, and they did not welcome each other in general.  We know from other stories in scripture that Jews traveling from Galilee to Judah would go around Samaria, and Jesus even told the surprising story of the "Good Samaritan" where the help of a Samaritan was completely not expected.  Anyway, suffice it to say that there were significant religious differences.

As I read this story I thought about how many times we might have rejected Jesus ourselves, in our own lives, because of where we thought He was going (as in leading us)?  I know personally more than a few churches that have basically rejected the presence of God manifesting in their congregation because where that would lead them.  They weren't in favor of being labelled, of being infested with crazy Jesus people, or even worse being visited by those who act out in the Spirit and all sorts of craziness.  They chose the need to be in control over the presence of the Lord.  Sad.

I also know that there have been several times in my own life where I have backed away from things I felt the Lord was saying, because I didn't like where I thought it would lead me.  I know there are also many of us who don't want to follow Jesus whole-heartedly because we don't like the thought of the changes we think He would require in our lives, like things we would have to stop doing that we like.  It is a sad reality that we often choose to not have Jesus visit us because of selfishness or fear, religious differences or inconvenience.

On the positive side, I also found it interesting that the Lord sent messengers ahead of Him to get things ready.  When I read that, I immediately thought of those intercessory forerunners for every single revival that has occurred in history.  There are always those whose are called/sent to prepare the way for the Lord,  sowing prayer sometimes for years prior to the Lord's visitation. Let us be encouraged if the Lord has called us to such an endeavor.

I am also convinced that the Lord signals His intent about what He is planning to come and do, and that if we are listening we will hear His messengers.  Often times I have seen the hearts of a group of people moved around certain unrealized promises.  These are things or themes that several people in an area or church hold in common and are waiting for expectantly, that each has heard personally from the Lord.  In our present church we all have this deep desire for more of the Lord, and especially the experience of His healing as a part of the Kingdom proclamation.  It is my belief that these common messages, that we hold onto and are believing for, are from the Lord signalling His intent.  If we have a welcoming heart, He will visit as He intends.

Lord, it is my prayer that we will always welcome Your visitation, regardless of how scary, inconvenient or messy it might appear.  We want You in our life, and we are willing to be visited.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment