Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Knowing The Father And Glorifying Him

This morning I have been reading from John's Gospel.  I love his writings as there is such a personal perspective.  The verses I am reflecting on today come from John 12:44-50 NIV:

[44] "Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. [45] The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me."

[46] "I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. [47] “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. [48] There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. [49] For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. [50] I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

I really think that verses 45, 49 and 50 are such critical verses, ones that we need to fully understand and believe.  I have written several times that Jesus is the perfect representation of the Father, and once again Jesus says basically the same exact thing.  If we look at Him we are seeing the Father (Verse 45).  If we listen to Him, we are hearing the words the Father would speak, for whatever Jesus said is just what the Father told Him to day (verse 49 & 50).

I don't think it can be said any clearer.  Everything Jesus did and said was directly from the Father.  He is the best revelation of the Father we will ever see this side of heaven.  Much of what He said and did isn't recorded in the Scriptures (John 21:25), but what was recorded, by the direction of the Holy Spirit is a direct window into the Father.  His words are the Father's, His actions are the Father's, and so we must, if we want to know the Father, understand His heart and hear His words, look to Jesus.  That is why I spend so much time in the Gospels, for it is there that I am able to see and understand our God, as witnessed to us by Jesus.  If Jesus said something or did something, then we know that the Father would say or do the same thing. Conversely, if I don't see Jesus doing something, than I know the Father wouldn't be doing it either.

For example, looking at verse 48 above, Jesus' statement about the reason He came, would possibly be surprising to many people.  He said, "For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." (John 12:48b)  There are many followers of Christ, many brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ, who are sitting under judgment from their leaders.  There are many others who preach judgment to the unsaved, yet here we have Jesus, expressing the heart of the Father, and His heart is not for judgement, but rather for salvation.  He didn't come to judge the lost, but to save them.  Why then do we tolerate a message of judgment in our churches?  Why do we allow our leaders to judge us?  Jesus Himself said He wouldn't do that, but rather His words would be the judge.  If Jesus didn't hold up His words to the lives of those around Him to judge them, then neither should we.

I guess lately I have been thinking deeply on the message of Jesus, and looking at the message flowing out of many of our churches and seeing a significant disparity, and that troubles my heart.  I guess in some ways, my critique of other churches is embracing the very thing we are not to do, namely judging one another, and for that I am sorry and will endeavor to change the way I think and act.

The good news is that there are many places that are not preaching another Gospel, but are faithfully representing the ministry of Jesus, and thus the heart of God the Father, for they are the same thing.  My prayer is that all the Church would cease its judgmental ways and instead focus on our key purpose - to save the world.  Let us love one another, serve one another and reflect the ministry of Jesus and the Father in our daily walks.  We are meant to be a light to the world, and by that light the world will be drawn to our Lord, and the Father's name will be glorified, rather than vilified.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment