Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Stepping Into God's Purposes


This morning I am thinking about an interesting passage from Luke's Gospel, where Jesus is talking about John.  What really caught my eye was the note that Luke added concerning the Pharisee's and Lawyers.  Here is the whole section for context - Luke 7:24-30 NIV:

[24] "After John's messengers left, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? [25] If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear expensive clothes and indulge in luxury are in palaces. [26] But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet.

27] This is the one about whom it is written: “ 'I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you.'

[28] I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”

[29] "(All the people, even the tax collectors, when they heard Jesus' words, acknowledged that God's way was right, because they had been baptized by John. [30] But the Pharisees and the experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.)"

I find Luke's comment in verses 29 & 30 insightful into the spirit of pride and religion.  We know from Acts 19:4, that John's baptism was a baptism of repentance.  In other words, the people who were baptised by John, were admitting to all they were sinners, and were vowing to change their behavior (See Luke 3 for more on John's message).  The Pharisees though, believed they were righteous, and thus would not have been in need of repentance.

I like the way Luke says it - they "rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John."  That is a very weighty statement.  If we replace 'baptized by John' with 'repentance', I think we get to the heart of the matter.  God's purposes for us requires contrite hearts, humility and the willingness to change the way we think and act (repentance).  He wants us to walk in His ways, and to do that we need to recognize that we aren't and we need to be willing to change.

I know in my life there have been many times that the Lord was doing stuff in me, and I had the opportunity to go forward during a church service and I chose not to go forward, because I didn't want to publicly acknowledge my need to change or need for help.  The spirit of pride, which is closely aligned with the spirit of religion (not true religion), will keep us in our own sin, rather than enable us to step into freedom.  The Pharisees and lawyers were the leaders of the people, and rather than embrace repentance, and step into God's purposes, they turned their backs and refused to even acknowledge that God was at work in their midst.

The good news in this, is that this was not the only time the Pharisees and lawyers had an opportunity to change their minds and hearts, for Jesus interacted with them constantly, and unfortunately they constantly rejected Him.  God will never give us just one chance to step into His purposes.  That is a lie the enemy tells us, whispering that we missed that one opportunity, and have thus missed the whole thing.  I am reminded of the parable of the laborers in the vineyard (Matt 20:1-13).  The guys who started work at the end of the day got paid the same amount as those who started work in the morning.  We can always step into God's purpose for us, for who are we to thwart the purposes of God?

So, this morning I am encouraged to embrace repentance, allowing God to show me where my thinking and actions need to change.  I am encouraged to do this, because I know that He has purposes for me, and that by becoming more like Him (the purpose of repentance) I can more effectively represent Him.  My desire is that His presence in my life becomes more and more evident as I continue to pursue Him with a humble heart, welcoming His direction and guidance.

God is good, and He has good things in mind for each of us.  If we are willing to walk in His ways, we will find our places and purposes in the Kingdom, which is a great place to be.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment