Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, June 8, 2015

What Is Eternal Life?


I was thinking about these verses from John's Gospel this morning.

John 17:1-5 NIV:

[1] After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:
 “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. [2] For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. [3] Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. [4] I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. [5] And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began."

I think verse 3 is so essential, for Jesus equates eternal life with knowing Him.  In other words it is all about relationship.  He is drawing us and leading us into relationship, and it is in that place that we experience eternal life.  I think that most of us, if we were asked to describe eternal life, would have some comments about heaven, or living forever, but Jesus defines it as knowing Him.  That really should cause us to stop and think...

The good news is that we can experience eternal life here on earth!  It is through knowing Him, and entering into relationship with Him that we experience salvation.  It is in continuing to pursue Him, to be in relationship with Him that we find our lives hidden in Him.  It is in this place that we experience His favor and blessing and begin to taste the eternal life that is our reward, knowing Him, seeing Him move in our lives, experiencing His love and mercy.  Our lives are meant to be lived in relationship with Him, every day, all day long.  He is the greatest treasure, why would we want to live our lives any other way??

As we unite ourselves to Christ, He is glorified here on earth, for we begin to represent Him, and do the things that He would do if He was physically present.  He is present, but within us, and we reflect that through our lives.

So my encouragement is to embrace the gift of eternal life available to me today!  Lord, I want to know You more!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment