Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Good Return on His Investment

This morning I am reading from Luke's Gospel.  I love it when I find something I hadn't really noticed before, as it gives me an opportunity to look at familiar scriptures with a new perspective. The verses I am looking at this morning are the following - Luke 19:11-27 NIV:

[11] While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. [12] He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. [13] So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. 'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.'

[14] “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We don't want this man to be our king.'

[15] “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

[16] “The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.'

[17] “ 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'

[18] “The second came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned five more.'

[19] “His master answered, 'You take charge of five cities.'

[20] “Then another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. [21] I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.'

 [22] “His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? [23] Why then didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?'

[24] “Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.'

[25] “ 'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!'

[26] “He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. [27] But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them---bring them here and kill them in front of me.' ”

Most people who read this story, myself included, will remember the theme of the 10 Minas, but what I find interesting is that it actually about a man of noble birth who becomes King, for that is what the opening and closing line is about.  The middle section is about what happens while waiting for the man who becomes King to return, but the real story is that the man goes away for a while, and then returns as the King.

So, in light of that fact, should we change our perspective about the meaning of the Minas and the servants responses?  I think that Jesus is clearly speaking about the age of the Church, for he is clearly the man who is going away and returning (Matt 24:27-31).  If that is the case, then the Jesus' command to his 10 servants to, "put this money to work, until I come back" is aimed at the Church, and more specifically His disciples, for they were His followers.  A good question would be - what is the money Jesus is talking about?  I look at what He actually left the church, and that is the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-21).

Following the logic just outlined, then what does it look like to "put this money to work"?  Also, in this version, note that He never says that He gives the servants any more than anyone else, they just earn more with it.  Also, of interest, He gave the money to 10 of His servants, but only talks about 3 in this example.

Anyway, I have thought about this before and the favor of the Lord is amazing towards the faithful servants, the one servant who returns 10 minas is given charge over 10 cities, which is a significant upgrade in authority and relationship.  In the Lord's eyes, being "trustworthy in a very small manner" is very important!  Again, what is the small matter that has been entrusted to this servant (following my logic)?  Again, I believe it is the Holy Spirit, and specifically the gifts of the Holy Spirit. If this is the Mina or the small matter, than what we do with what the Lord has put in us, how open we are to the moving of the Holy Spirit, and how well we allow Him to guide and direct us, and operate through us is essential!

As a church, we probably should be very concerned with what culture we have put in place for the working out and exercising and investment of the gifts of the Holy Spirit!  Do we allow for the investment and growth in gifts of the Holy Spirit?  Are we allowing people to understand their gifts and callings and giving them ample opportunity to grow and mature in these gifts?

Secondly, if we look at the succession of the faithful servants, they go from individual responsibility to governmental responsibility.  This is clearly at the direction of the King, and follows His return, so if I was totally inline with the guidelines of this story, this would only relate to what happens after the return of the Lord, and the Day of Judgment, for that appears to be the meaning of verse 27.  However, Jesus did already return as King, after His resurrection, and we live in the time of His Kingdom established here on earth, even in our midst.  So is there applicability of verses 17 and 19 now?  I would say yes, and I believe that the Lord does care greatly about our trustworthiness.  He is looking for us to bear fruit in our lives, to return on the investment of the Holy Spirit that He has placed into us.  So, we should make a sober review of our lives and look at our fruit.  We are not called to hold onto what we have been given and just protect that one gift, but we are called to open up our lives and return to the Lord on His investment in us.

Again, as the church, we need to make room for this in the lives of our brothers and sisters.  We need to see in our investing in others lives, our investments from the Lord are multiplied.  If anyone has ever studied network marketing, this is a perfect example.  Those who invest early, and invest into others that are multiplying their investments, experience huge returns on their initial investments.  Rather than making it all about having a "Big" church with hundreds or thousands of members, I would think we would rather have tens of churches, birthing hundreds of churches, which in turn birth thousands of churches.  That is real multiplication.  Secondly the opportunity for real return on the investment of the Holy Spirit in peoples lives is much easier to accomplish in smaller churches, so the quality of the return is much higher, and multi-generational.

Wow, who would have thought this parable was about a church growth and investment strategy in the gifts of the Holy Spirit!  At least that is what I think.

Lord, I pray that You would help me to make a good return on that which You put in me!  Help me to multiply that which You have placed in my care, and help me to release others into fruitfulness as well.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment