Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Path to Peace

This morning I am continuing in my reflection on peace.  The following verses are quite inspiring  -  Philippians 4:4-7 NIV:

[4] "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! [5] Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. [6] Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I like the way Paul starts this section, "rejoice in the Lord". The whole idea is to recall to mind how good God is,  how much He loves us, His faithfulness and provision, His forgiveness and mercy and His perspective.  When we realize that God is in love with us and on our side it is difficult not to rejoice, to express our joy over His grace in our lives.

Secondly, Paul encourages us to exude gentleness.  This may seem out of place, but one of the best definitions of gentleness I have heard is "strength under control".  In other words, one has control over their own emotions and actions, and chooses to act in ways that are beneficial to others, serving them, helping them and caring for them.  When we can control our own actions, thoughts and feelings because we have God's perspective, we are going to experience peace.

Thirdly, Paul encourages us to bring everything to the Lord, especially anything that is causing us anxiety.  The peace of God guards our hearts and minds, and anxiety attacks both.  Anxiety tends to start in the mind, through self focus, and slowly works its way into the heart as we allow those anxious thoughts to convince us of our need for change, to get us free of the anxiety causing circumstances.  Viewing things from God's perspective helps us bring His reality to our thoughts, which helps us settle our hearts.  When we recognize that God is in control, and has a plan, a really good plan, and surrender our need to understand everything (for who can fully understand the thoughts of God), our minds can rest and our hearts can receive His affection once again.

When I think about the way the enemy works in my life, he constantly tries to sow seeds of doubt about my decisions and God's love for me.  He is constantly accusing God, trying to convince me that He doesn't love me or care for me the way He should.  These doubts and thoughts are meant to drive me to fear, to cause me to go into self-preservation mode, trusting in myself rather in God.  As I separate myself from God's protection and path, I am more and more in danger of the attacks and lies of the enemy.  I know many people who get caught up in the swirl of their own thoughts, emotions and fear and seem to lose all sense of balance in their life and forget about God's power and love. This is why the peace of God guards our hearts and minds, for that is where the battle is waged in most of our lives.

The path to peace is through surrender into God's perspective.  Peace that transcends all understanding is another way of saying that we gain God's perspective.  God is never worried or anxious and never is fearful about His ability to do what He says He will do.  He is never worried about the plans and attacks of the enemy for He is all powerful, has all authority.  When we come to view things from God's perspective, we can see His peace established in our hearts and minds.  Peace is a wonderful gift of God.  He is our rock on which we can stand (Ps 40:2), our anchor in any storm (Heb 6:19), our counselor and help (John 14:25-27), and He loves us (John 3:16).  Our path to peace is into God.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment