Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, February 1, 2016

Eyes on Him

This morning I felt like reading from Paul's letter to the Galatians 5:13-16, 22-25 NIV:

[13] "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh ; rather, serve one another humbly in love. [14] For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” [15] If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. [16] So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."

[22] "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, [23] gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. [24] Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. [25] Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

As I was reading these verses this morning, I was conscious of how 'other' focused we are called to be.  Paul encourages us to fight against indulging our own flesh by serving one another, and loving our neighbor as ourselves. In walking by the Spirit, as being led by the Holy Spirit, we are focused on the direction of the Spirit, rather than our flesh.  I think I have said this before, but I am definitely aware of the fact that pretty much all my sins originate from a selfish perspective. When my eyes are fixed on myself, it is very hard to follow the leadings of the Holy Spirit, and it is very hard to love my neighbor.

My prayer this morning is that I might consistently turn my eyes away from my own flesh and turn towards the Lord.  As I learn to walk more fully in His ways, my life will be filled with more of the fruit of that pursuit.  Who doesn't want more love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control in their life?  I know that I do!  Lord help me to be more focused on You, in step with You Holy Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment