Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Refreshment in the Desert

This morning I felt like reading from the Psalms, as it has been a while since I meditated on one of them.  I turned to one of my favorites Psalm 63:1-8 NIV:

[1] "You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.
[2] I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
[3] Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
[4] I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
[5] I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
[6] On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.
[7] Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
[8] I cling to you; your right hand upholds me."

Wow, each line is so rich.  David wrote this psalm when he was in the desert.  I can just see him reflecting on his physical thirst, which quickly became a reflection on his real thirst for the loving embrace of God.  I imagine the dry plodding walk of someone in the desert, trying to find water, needing to keep moving to find that which they seek.  I imagine the growing need, the dry mouth, the whole body becomes aware of its need for water.

Those who journey through deserts often, have learned to recognize the signs of water, learned where to look, and learned how to conserve that which they have already.  Those who live by fresh water seldom think about the need to conserve, or how to find the hidden water that will keep them alive.  Those who have water delivered to their door, or poured for them when they thirst, have little knowledge of where the water comes from, and how precious it is, they take it for granted.

I know that in my life, the times in the desert (dryness in my relationship with the Lord) have made me so much more appreciative of times of refreshing.  I have seen the power and glory of God exhibited in ways that are astounding, and I have walked through dry and weary times.  The reflection on what God has done and what I have seen help me to push through the dry seasons, knowing that times of refreshing are coming.

If I look closely at David's reflection, it is two lines about his dryness, and seven lines about the richness and blessings of relationship with God.  He does not associate God with his dryness, that is from the desert, God is full of life and refreshing. David, in spite of the dryness, continues to seek God.  He does not get angry with God for being in the desert, He rather reflects on the wonder of his relationship, and is moved to praise and singing.  It is like he is a sailor walking through the desert singing about his love for the sea.  The one makes him treasure the other even more.

Finally, what we choose to think on, is our choice.  In the midst of the desert I can choose to think about the sand and the dryness, or I can think about the wonders of refreshment, showers of grace and mercy, the goodness of the Lord.  Our mood and our vision will be greatly affected by that which we think about and look at.    The second perspective has a look of hope and expectation, the first leads to self-focus and misery.

This morning I am encouraged to remember, and wait in joyful anticipation for times of refreshing in the Lord.  He is good! He is full of life! His love is better than life!  I can and will choose to praise Him, to reflect on His love and mercy!  I will cling to Him, because His hand holds me up!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment