Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Hearing God Speak

This morning I felt like I should read from the Book of Exodus which is not my typical morning meditation reading.  The verses that caught my eye are the following - Exodus 19:3-6,9,16-19 NIV:

[3] "Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: [4] 'You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. [5] Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, [6] you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

[9] "The Lord said to Moses, “I am going to come to you in a dense cloud, so that the people will hear me speaking with you and will always put their trust in you.” Then Moses told the Lord what the people had said."

[16] "On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. [17] Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. [18] Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the Lord descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently. [19] As the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him."

Two themes that are important in these verses are the choosing of Israel as God's treasured possession and God's willingness to speak, to guide and direct, and establish His law.  God has chosen these people and was now in the process of forming them into a nation.  Previously they were tribes that were related to each other, but they had no laws other than those of Egypt.  In the next several chapters God relays to them the foundations of the Law, and established a code of conduct for them, to help separate them from other nations and peoples.  This was all the result of God's affection!  He loved this people, chose them out of all nations and was personally involved in their lives, leading and guiding them.

Continuing on, in this dispensation, Moses was God's chosen spokesman, and was the go between for the people and God.  God's choice was witnessed to by the smoke and fire, clouds, thunder and lightning, and it was meant to be a sign to the people of God's choice of Moses.  I love the fact that God didn't just expect Moses' words to convince them, but instead backed his words with signs that were easy to see and understand.  God spoke to the people through Moses, and this way He was able to lead them, guide them and form them.

As I was reading this, I thought about how glad I am that this is no longer the way God works on the earth.  As described by Peter in Acts 10 & 11, God revealed that His salvation and invitation to relationship was to be expanded to include all people, not just the Hebrew people.  Secondly, I am so glad that we no longer need to hear God's voice through His chosen spokesman, but rather are invited into a personal relationship with God where He literally lives within us and speaks to us individually.  He has given us the witness of His words, His voice and His character and has recorded this all in Scripture.  This is meant to be our guide as we hear God in our daily life, a sort of measuring stick of God's heart and character so that we know what God sounds like and speaks of, and what is on His heart.  As we learn to hear God in our lives, we use scripture to guide us and confirm His voice and words.  He chosen to reside within us, and He speaks to us and helps us to recognize His voice.  Because we all have the Holy Spirit within us, we don't need to have someone like Moses to reveal to us God's words. He intends that each of us is capable and able to hear His voice.

The author of the Letter to the Hebrews writes - Hebrews 10:19-25 NIV:

[19] "Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, [20] by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, [21] and since we have a great priest over the house of God, [22] let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. [23] Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. [24] And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, [25] not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another---and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

We can have confidence to approach God, to hear His voice and experience His love and affection.

Jesus said the following - John 16:7,12-15,23-27 NIV:

[7] 'But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you."

[12] “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. [13] But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. [14] He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. [15] All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”

[23] "In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. [24] Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. [25] “Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. [26] In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. [27] No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God."

And this same Holy Spirit will live in us and speak to us as indicated by Jesus in John 14:15-21,25-27 NIV:

[15] “If you love me, keep my commands. [16] And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever--- [17] the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. [18] I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. [19] Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. [20] On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. [21] Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

[25] “All this I have spoken while still with you. [26] But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. [27] Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

In the same way as described in Exodus, our invitation to relationship is based on God's love for us.  If we love Him in return, He will come and dwell with us, even dwell in us, and He will speak to us, each individually! We will know and understand, we will be taught by the Holy Spirit, we will receive from Him all truth!

So, this morning I am encouraged that I can hear God, and be loved by God!  God Himself lives within me and will guide me and direct me into all truth!  He    will speak clearly to me, and will help me to know about the Father!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment