Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Pursuing One Thing

This morning I am reflecting on the difference in mindsets between King Solomon and Paul.  King Solomon was a very wise King, but he lived in a time before the revelation of Christ Jesus and the invitation to relationship with Him.  His reflection on life is found in the Book of Ecclesiastes and is pretty much hopeless.  Paul, on the other hand, has experienced much success in life and in his previous Pharisitical position.  However, after being introduced to Christ Jesus, while on his way to Damascus (Acts 9:3-19), Paul has discovered that His life has greater meaning and purpose, a higher calling that He is willing to pursue no matter the cost.  The contrast between the two is striking.

Here is a summary of Solomon's thinking from the book of Ecclesiastes 9:1-2, 7-10 NIV:

[1] "So I reflected on all this and concluded that the righteous and the wise and what they do are in God's hands, but no one knows whether love or hate awaits them. [2] All share a common destiny---the righteous and the wicked, the good and the bad, the clean and the unclean, those who offer sacrifices and those who do not."

"As it is with the good, so with the sinful;
as it is with those who take oaths,
so with those who are afraid to take them.

[7] "Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do. [8] Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil. [9] Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun---all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. [10] Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Solomon seemed to have no knowledge of eternal life, and seems to have forgotten the purpose in life He was given by His father David (1 Chron 28: 5 ff) and in the end concluded that the best a person could do was to eat, drink, be merry, enjoy the days for all were meaningless, so you might as well find joy.  Reading through the book of Ecclesiastes is actually pretty discouraging, for in his writings, you find unenlightened truth, and it is pretty dark and hopeless. However, from Paul we see a recognition that pursuing relationship with Christ Jesus is of more value than anything else.  He is full of life and hope and purpose. His ultimate personal motivation is captured in his letter to the Philippians 3:4-14 NIV:

[4]..."though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: [5] circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; [6] as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless."

[7] "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. [8] What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ [9] and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ---the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. [10] I want to know Christ---yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, [11] and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. [12] Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."

[13] "Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, [14] I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Paul had achieved much, had studied under the most famous teacher, had been recognized as a leader and appeared to be a rising star in the religious/political realm of the Pharisees, yet after meeting Jesus he considered this all rubbish, not out of hopeless recognition that his days were meaningless, but rather because he found a greater purpose, a greater calling.  It wasn't that he threw away everything because it was trashy, but rather he recognized how much better life in relationship with Jesus was than everything else, any of his successes or previous accomplishments. In comparison, everything else was rubbish or had no comparable value.  In fact, in light of what was before him, even the good works of yesterday, performed while in relationship with Jesus, were not worth a moments thought, for compared to Jesus, all else is worthless and meaningless.

Paul, is also possessed of an awareness that His life does have purpose, for Christ Jesus took hold of him, selecting him to be His representative.  Paul knows his ultimate destiny is heaven, and in this light sees his life as worthwhile, and filled with purpose.  He knows his days are numbered, as all of ours are, but presses forward to "win the prize".  What a great purpose driven life he had, once he met Jesus.

So my prayer and reflection today is that we would each come to know that our lives have purpose and meaning, and that these are ultimately driven and defined through our relationship with Jesus. He has called us, and chosen us since before the creation of the world (Eph. 1:4).  If we really meet Him and consider all else we are pursuing compared to Him, we will see that He is the only pursuit worthy of everything.

In this light, I find purpose and reason for my life, more than just eating, drinking and merriment (all of which I enjoy immensely).  He is to be my one thing.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment