Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Contentment in Difficult Times

This morning I felt like reflecting on a great set of verses from Philippians 4:11-13 NIV:

[11] "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. [12] I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

This statement from Paul is really interesting in that it shows the depth of his relationship with the Lord, his understanding of his identity, and his ability to hold onto that truth in the face of difficulty and struggle.  This is such an important point, such a good goal for us to set for ourselves.  This peacefulness in the face of difficulty is not mind over matter, or the power of positive thinking, but rather the fruit of intimacy. This attitude is something learned, something that has developed and matured.

It is so important for us to understand that when difficult things happen in our lives, when struggles come our way, that this is not divine punishment or retribution for our sins or bad lives.  God does not invite us into relationship so that He can punish us every time we do something wrong. He loves us, desires relationship with us, and wants us to understand that His love is so much more than just material blessing and gift giving.  He loves us so much that He sent His Son to save us, not condemn us (John 3:16-17).

It is interesting to me how deeply rooted in our worldview is the mindset that difficulty and struggle is a sign of God's displeasure.  I think there is something quite ancient about this type of thinking, as this was the reason that many cultures sacrificed to the "gods", thinking that bad weather or failed crops was a sign of the "gods" displeasure, so they made offerings to try and make them happy.  This is not the way God is, and Jesus demonstrated that over and over, yet somewhere deep in our minds we still think of God as an angry God waiting to punish us, and think that when bad things happen, that is proof.

Paul has grown beyond this and learned that regardless of the difficulties, persecutions or struggles, that God's relationship with him never faltered.  In fact, it was in times of weakness and struggle that he experienced more of God's strength and power.  In fact Paul wrote about this in his second letter to the church in Corinth, and it was the result of a struggle he had that he learned this lesson.  Here are the verses - 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 NIV:

[9] "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. ” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. [10] That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

This past year, in spite of serious back injury and surgery, job loss and being laid-off the Lord has been teaching me about His steadfast love and faithfulness.  None of what I experienced was the result of my sin or bad behavior, and even if it was, God's love for me would have been steadfast.  He loves me whether I am a sinner or walking in His righteousness.  He loves me regardless of my circumstances, and in spite of my circumstances.  Struggle and difficulty opens the door for His provision and blessings in ways that we would never recognise if we only experienced wealth and ease.  Paul has seen this and experienced it first hand and learned to press into his relationship with the Lord even more during times of difficulty and struggle.  He has learned to rejoice in times of blessing and comfort, and rejoice in his relationship in times of struggle!

This week I have been teaching the story of Joseph to some kids at a camp we help with, and it is such a great story to reflect upon.  For although Joseph had an incredible promise from the Lord concerning his future calling, it was the time as a slave in Potiphar's house, and his time in the Prison that prepared him to rule over Egypt, as the Pharaoh's right-hand man. What looked like punishment instead became the training ground for greatness.  Joseph never lost sight of the promise, and while it was hard to imagine how the promise of God would be fulfilled when he was a slave, or sitting in Prison, he trusted that God's promise was true, and instead of complaining and crying out for release, spent his time pursuing God, experiencing His favor in the midst of his circumstances.  At the exact right time, God provided the circumstances to elevate Joseph from the prison to the right hand of Pharoah, and he was able to succeed because he had not lost sight of God, nor his relationship with Him, in spite of his circumstances.

In the same way Paul saw God use him even when in prison or in chains.  Paul realized that God was with him, that His love for him never failed or faultered, and that God's purpose for him would be fulfilled regardless of the circumstances.  In fact, it was because of his chains that Paul was able to travel to Rome on the government's denari and preach the Gospel to many important people.  As Paul said, the secret to being content in all was his relationship with Him (God) who strengthened him.

So today I am encouraged to continue to press forward in relationship with the Lord, turning to Him in times of struggle or difficulty, leaning into my relationship and depending on His strength and power.  I can learn to be content in Him, regardless of my circumstances. Lord help us to understand Your faithfulness and steadfast love, Your strength and power, regardless of our situations or circumstances.

Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment