Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Danger of "Gospel-Plus"

This morning I am reflecting on the issue of the fear of man and the spirit of religion, and how they work to corrupt the Gospel.  We see this well illustrated in Paul's letter to the churches in Galatia, as there was a groundswell within the church there to begin embracing a work's mentality, and it was spurred by the members of the circumcision group that came from Jerusalem.  These were converted Jews who were teaching that Gentiles needed to embrace the works of the Law. They were so influential that even Peter and Barnabas were swayed over to their demands and started to side with them.  It appears that Peter was primarily motivated by fear, which I find very interesting considering his past history.  Paul confronts this issue head-on in the following verses - Galatians 2:11-16 NIV:

[11] "When Cephas (Peter) came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. [12] For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. [13] The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

[14] When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

[15] “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles [16] know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified."

Now it is important to note that the events above happened in Antioch, and Paul is addressing all the churches in the province of Galatia (of which Antioch was arguably one), so the teaching of the circumcision group was obviously more wide spread than just Antioch.  Paul's confrontation in Antioch was apparently not sufficient to stop this false gospel, and thus Paul felt the need to write this letter.

As I have noted previously, this false gospel could really be seen as the Gospel-plus.  The proponents of this gospel were converted Jews, who were teaching of the need to be circumcised, and likely follow other requirements of the Covenant of the Law.  One would believe that they were presenting themselves as more holy or righteous than others because of their alignment with the Law.  This is a common danger to the Gospel, those that preach the Gospel plus something special that makes them more holy, or more righteous.  We, in our human frailty and pride are easily won over to such gospels, because we want to be part of the best, want to be able to keep score and show ourselves better.  The gospel-plus is so attractive in this regards, and it is often packaged as pursuing the highest calling.  I can just see the members of the circumcision group alluding to their superiority because of their guaranteed full inclusion in the promises given to the chosen people, because they were marked in their flesh.

This type of teaching (gospel-plus) causes others to question their own beliefs or level of commitment to Christ, especially when it is packaged as the highest calling.  There are those that speak of special understandings, of secrets that only true believers, as demonstrated by some sacrificial works or special beliefs, will understand and get to enjoy the fullness reserved for them.  We see this presented in several "christian-like" and "christian-esque" religions.  This type of teaching can also infiltrate the main church, in less extreme ways, but always in ways that enable the adherents to feel spiritually superior to their peers.  This is the goal of the  religious spirit, spiritual pride that enables judgmental attitudes and creates a fear of judgment.  

It is important to note that no one appears to be above this type of influence and concern, as both James and Peter were apparently affected, two of the Lord's Apostles and closest companions.  We are wrong to think we are above this, and that our teaching or beliefs are protections against this type of concern, or worse yet, that it is better than others.  We must continually battle to maintain a humble attitude, and always be re-aligning ourselves with the true Gospel. It is so easy to be swayed by teachings that sound good, that encourage us to the higher or highest calling, but are actually careful repackaging of the gospel-plus.

As Paul writes later in his letter, we must not allow ourselves to be mislead and allow someone to set requirements that effectively enslave us to their judgment.  Paul closes his arguments with the following statements - Galatians 5:1-6 NIV:

[1] "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

[2] Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. [3] Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. [4] You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. [5] For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. [6] For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."

I know for me, I certainly don't have everything figured out, and if I ever say I do, someone please slap me! I embrace the Gospel of Grace and Mercy, knowing that nothing that I have done, except my own recognition of my need of salvation, has brought me to this hope of eternal life and membership in the Body of Christ, as God's own adopted son.  It is through Christ alone, through His sacrifice that my sins are washed away, and I am joined to Him.  I am not deserving, nor have I ever been deserving of this free gift, yet God, through His love, has given it to me.

I am encouraged to stand firm, to embrace the Gospel of Grace, to love God and to love my fellow man, as Christ loved me.  I am encouraged to be constantly vigilant against this gospel-plus mindset and teaching.  Lord help me to pursue You not some high-calling.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment