Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Overflowing Love, Increasing Knowledge and Discernment

This morning I am reflecting on a couple of verses from Paul's letter to the Philippians 1:9-11 NIV:

[9] "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, [10] so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, [11] filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ---to the glory and praise of God."

Here is the same set of verses from the NASB - Philippians 1:9-11 NASB:

[9] "And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, [10] so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; [11] having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."

Usually I like reading the NIV for easier understanding and flow, but in this case the NASB version seems to have a bit more depth and rootedness (I don't really know how to explain it, the NASB just makes more sense to me).

I love the way Paul describes this maturation and development of our love through relationship with Jesus.  He fills us with the fruits of righteousness.  I was doing a quick scriptural analysis of what the fruits of righteousness are and came up with the following list:  Prosperity and provision (Ps 72:3); peace, quietness and confidence in God's faithfulness (IS 32:17); God's presence (Hos 10:12); Joy (Amos 6:12).

Back to the beginning of Paul's statement, Jesus' plan is to cause our love to overflow, to be more than we can use, so that is overflows to those around us!  This love is based out of real knowledge, the question that comes to mind is "real knowledge of what?"  In any relationship, I believe the answer is real knowledge of the one you love.  The more we really know them, their hearts, their minds, the more we understand their motivation, the more we love and are able to embrace them.  I know that often my fear is in being known to the deepest depths, but have found that when people have known me to that level, their response is deeper love.  So we are being called to deeper, more abiding love and intimacy with Him.

Paul's prayer is that our love also increases through discernment, so that we might approve the things that are excellent.  Discernment is one of those understated gifts, but one that is critical.  It allows us to understand God's mind,  enables us to see the right path, helps us in making the right choice.  Often times we have limited perspective on what the Lord is doing, or what we should do, and one of the benefits of discernment is the ability to properly understand God's will for us in the midst of the confusion, or fog.  In this case Paul indicates that it helps us to approve the things that are excellent.

I know for me it is almost never a choice between something clearly good and something clearly bad, but rather between multiple good things.  In the past, rather than a single job offer, I will receive 2 or 3 at the same time and have to decide which one is in-line with His plan and purpose.  I often have had the opportunity to join myself to many different ministries,  all good ministries, so the question becomes not which is better, but which is the most excellent for me.  Right now we are still undecided about where the Lord is leading us to connect to the Body of Christ.  We are surrounded by good churches and know many good places with very good people, the question is which one is right for us.  We need the gift of discernment.

Ultimately, all of these aid in our walk of faith and our relationship with Him. This is supposed to prepare us and help us grow in maturity and ultimately bring Glory and Praise to God.  That is the life I want to live, growing in faith, growing in discernment, growing in love, over-flowing love to those around me, giving Glory to God, through who all good things come!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment