Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

He Can Do Miracles Today!

This morning I am reflecting on the following story from Acts 3:1-11,16 NIV:

[1] "One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer---at three in the afternoon. [2] Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. [3] When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. [4] Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” [5] So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

[6] Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” [7] Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. [8] He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. [9] When all the people saw him walking and praising God, [10] they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him."

[11] "While the man held on to Peter and John, all the people were astonished and came running to them in the place called Solomon's Colonnade."

[16] "By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see."

I love this story and find it so interesting for several reasons.  First, this man had been set out in front of the temple every day, and that means that likely Jesus walked right by him on a couple of occasions.  If ever people wonder why some get healed and others don't sitting in the same service, I think this is a good story to point too.  Jesus only did what He saw the Father doing, and the Father had a different plan for the redemption and healing of this crippled man, and it involved the Apostles.  In the same way that the works Jesus did while actively ministering testified to who He was, the healing of this man testified to the fact that Jesus' authority to heal still existed, and it was in His name that Peter and John saw this man healed.  What Peter had was an understanding of Jesus' authority, and faith to go along with that understanding. They had likely walked by this man on many occasions, but this time the Spirit of God stopped them and encouraged this interaction.  Based on this Spiritual awareness, their faith was increased and they stepped out in faith and commanded his healing.

Secondly, the response of Peter and John to the people was very clear.  They took no credit themselves, but rather directed the people's hearts and minds back to Jesus.  It was through their faith in His name that the man was healed.  The previously lame man likely had little to no knowledge of Jesus, and certainly didn't recognize that Peter and John were His followers and thus had no faith of his own to be healed.  It was clearly the faith of Peter and John. In my mind, this is such a clear example of the need for me to press into the Lord for an increase of my own faith!

Thirdly, I love how the Lord restored the man quickly and completely!  This was an instantaneous miracle, for apparently this man had never walked, leapt or danced in his entire life.  The fat that he could not only walk and leap is astounding.  Normally it takes people weeks or months to learn  and be strong enough to walk again if they have lost the use of their legs for a considerable time, yet here the man was instantly provided both the muscles and tendons and ligaments and the ability to use them!

Fourthly, this same Holy Spirit that healed this man, lives in all of us that believe, and we can and should expect that He is able to do the same through us!  For it wasn't the Apostles that healed the man, it was their faith in His name and the power of the Holy Spirit coming upon the man that healed him.  That is all available to us today!

Here is an excerpt of the testimony of a man, Harold Selby, who was healed from Multiple Sclerosis at a Kathryn Kuhlman meeting back in the late 1960's in Pittsburgh, PA, as quoted in her book, "God Can Do It Again".  Harold experienced something similar to the lame man, except in his case his lameness had developed as a result of his disease. He speaks of the moment he was healed:

"Then it hit, like a tidal wave—like a great whoosh! It swept through my body from head to foot. It was a sensation much like a charge of electricity passing through my total being. It started on one side of my brain and came surging down through my body. I gasped for breath and my lungs were clear. I opened my eyes and I could see clearly. I felt my legs, back, and neck gaining strength. It was as though my whole body were being pricked by pins and needles. 

Vaguely, I heard Miss Kuhlman say, “Someone out there has just been healed.” I turned and looked at Arlene, but before she could say anything, I sensed it was me. When I saw one of Miss Kuhlman’s staff members making her way between the seats, I left my two canes leaning against the back of the seat and made my way past four or five people out into the aisle. 

I started to take her arm for support and then I thought, I do not need to hold on, I am healed. And I was. I walked unassisted down the aisle and up the steps to the platform. “When God heals you, you are healed,” Miss Kuhlman said. “Run back down those stairs and put it to the test!” 

I turned and bounded back down the steps like a school kid. I did not care what kind of spectacle I was making. When I returned to the stage, Miss Kuhlman asked if there were any present who could verify my story. Arlene came to the platform, her face wet with tears. We stood for a long time, trembling in each others arms. It was a moment I will never forget."

If this can happen in America in the 1960s, it can happen today!  I am encouraged to press into the Lord, to pray for an increase in faith in His name, and an awareness of when He wants to move!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment