Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Sowing and Reaping, Intentional Living

This morning I am reflecting on a few verses from Paul's letter to the Galatians 6:7-10 NIV:

[7] "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. [8] Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. [9] Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. [10] Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

These verses explain a simple natural and spiritual principle, that of sowing and reaping.  In the same way as the natural world so also in the spiritual world, the seeds we plant become plants that produce the same fruit as the seed that was planted.  If we plant corn, we reap a harvest of corn.  If we plant apple seeds, in time we reap a harvest of apples.  However, if you didn't know what the plant or fruit looked like and were just given a kernel of corn, or an apple seed, you would have no idea what that seed would produce in the way of fruit.

This is what Paul is explaining in these verses, what the fruit of sowing to our flesh produces.  Paul is helping us to identify what the fruit looks like, and it is not a beautiful fruit, but rather destruction.  In the previous chapter Paul describes some of what sowing to the flesh looks like in the following verses - Gal 5 [19]"The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; [20] idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions [21] 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like."

I would say that most of these acts of the flesh start out in a simpler form, primarily selfishness and self focus.  We lose our way as we become focused on ourselves, and over time, that becomes our only concern.  We slowly change the way we think, drawn deeper into the deception that self focus leads to happiness and life.  Paul starts his statement with the simple invitation to throw off this deception, and recognize the truth.  The problem with deception is that you don't know you are being deceived.

As member of the Body of Christ, we are called to help people who are deceived to see the truth.  How we do this is most important, and the model we are given is to represent the ministry of Jesus.  His approach was relationship, invitation, proclamation of the Kingdom of God, and demonstration of this Kingdom.  He didn't hammer the lost with their sins, instead He related to them and showed them the truth of His words and the Kingdom, essentially revealing to them an alternative to how they have been living.  He showed them a life that is actually filled with full life, joy, peace, happiness, fulfillment, significance and relationship with Him.  These were not just words, but experiential reality in His presence.

As Paul says, sowing to please the (Holy) Spirit, leads to eternal life.  Jesus said the following, "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." (John 17:3).  In other words, sowing into our relationship with Him, is the path to eternal life.  This is what we sow - time, communication, listening, obedience, love and affection.  Paul adds, from the verses above, "doing good".

Today, I am encouraged to pay attention to what I am sowing in my life.  To look at what I am valuing, what I am focused on, what I am giving my time and attention too.  I desire to reap good fruit, fruit that will last. I need to be intentional in what I am sowing, for what we sow is directly related to what we reap. I desire eternal life, and that is found in relationship with Him.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment