Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, July 9, 2017

How We Treat One Another Matters!

This morning I have been reading through the Letter of James and saw something interesting that is worthy of reflection.  Here are some verses from the beginning of the second chapter, and then following verses, that are often addressed individually - James 2:1-4,8-9,12-17 NIV:

[1] "My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. [2] Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. [3] If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here's a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” [4] have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?"

[8] "If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. [9] But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers."

[12] "Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, [13] because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment. [14] What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? [15] Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. [16] If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? [17] In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

What I found specifically interesting this morning, is that James starts talking about favoritism, and that is actually the foundational theme of all of these verses.  Oftentimes these verses, and those in between, could be quoted or addressed individually, without the foundational theme being included.  James goes into a major discourse on faith and actions following these verses, and it appears that the foundation of those comments is also showing favoritism.

I go back to Jesus' comments about His new commandment, to love one another as He loved us (John 13:34), and I see that command being laid out in James' letter in veery practical terms.  How we treat each other, how we think about each other, is directly tied back to that command.  Jesus, in his earthly ministry, gave his personal attention to rich and poor, well and sick, adult and children, sinner and righteous, and loved them all, and calls us to do the same.

James is taking that example and expounding upon it, drawing our attention to our thoughts, and our judgmental attitudes.  I know I am quick to judge people on appearance, making snap judgements on all sorts of things, simply based on how they are dressed, or how they appear.  In our western, marketing driven, advertising saturated world, we can easily fall into this type of behavior.  I believe that Jesus embraced each person for their own unique value, and so should we.  We must see the lowly, the poor and downtrodden as every bit as valuable as the wealthy and beautiful, especially in the body of Christ.

How we treat people, how we embrace them is directly tied to James thoughts in verses 12-17.  Mercy triumphing over judgment, is tied to how we treat and think about others.  Our actions (verse 14-17) are directly tied to how treat and think about others!  One could even expand this into how we treat those closest to us, our own family members. There is a saying that 'familiarity breeds contempt' and we must guard our hearts and minds so as not to treat our family any different than others, or in other's company.  Could it be that our Christian witness is supposed to primarily focused on two things - how well we love God and how well we love one another?  If you listen to Jesus' words, these are our primary commands!

We are called to love others, to show this love by action, by the way we treat them, and even by the way we think about them.  We are called to love others, to see their uniqueness, and embrace them for their value as a brother or sister, regardless of their social status, wealth, looks or appearance.  Oh that the Body of Christ were known for our love and good treatment of all, regardless of whether we agree with their worldview or lifestyles!

This morning I am encouraged to look at my own behavior and actions towards all people, and see what things I am called to do differently.  Lord, help me to love others the way You love me!  Help me extend mercy not judgment, and help me to do away with any favoritism in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment