Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Moving the Unmovable!

This morning I have been reflecting on a few verses that are generally well known.  These particular ones come from the Gospel of Mark 11:22-25 NIV:

[22] “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. [23] “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. [24] Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. [25] And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

As I was reading these verses this morning I had a few thoughts which I don't believe I have had before concerning these statements by Jesus.  Anytime that happens (New thoughts about familiar verses) I try to pay special attention because often the Lord is bringing new insight for a reason.

First, I was reflecting on verse 24, which is often read as a simple logical flow of cause and effect. Simply stated  - 'If you believe that you have received something, then it will happen'.  This verse is often mis-used by certain streams of the prosperity gospel crowd, acting as if we believe something hard enough that we will cause God to give us that which we desire.  This is sometimes referred to as the "name it, claim it" principle.

Anyway, when I read these verses this morning, I read them from the point of relationship and hearing from God.  We are called to a life of prayer, communication with God, and believe that He speaks to us and will tell us what to do.  Jesus demonstrated perfectly this life of relationship with the Father, and went so far as to say that everything He did and said was from the Father (John 8:28 & John 14:9-10).  In other words, the Father was the initiator of pretty much everything in Jesus' life.  He (Jesus) had to have been in a constant state of listening and responding because of His love for the Father.  Jesus calls us to the same, obedience because of love (John 14:15).  In light of Jesus' example of listening and responding, doing because the Father told him too, I read these verses this morning and believe that Jesus is describing how He operated, and how we are invited to operate.

Breaking this statement down in this light, first the requirement is to be in prayer, in communication with the Father, listening and speaking, but believing that we will receive direction and guidance, as Jesus demonstrated.  Second, the ask is based on what we hear the Father saying.  Sort of like this - The Father says, "I want to give you a bike, would you like a bike?"  We respond, because of what we heard the Father say, "Yes, please may I have a bike!"  Note: I know this is not a great example because it is focused on material things, and although the Lord loves to bless us with those things, His desire is that we desire the greater things, like spiritual gifts and learning to walk in His Love. I think this demonstrates what I felt was new revelation to me this morning.  The originator of the belief is the Father, and the belief we have is because of what we have heard from Him.  If we operate in this paradigm, it is clearly as good as accomplished because the Father is faithful and true.

My second reflection was that this teaching was also about walking in relationship and, thus, authority.  All our authority in this world comes from Jesus, who has all authority (Matt 28:18).  He is instructing His followers that they are to have faith in God, operate in and through relationship with him, and then believe that what He tells them He will back up with His authority.  If they do,  He will give His authority to them for such a situation.  This authority is real authority in the natural as well as the spiritual realm, for both exist in His Kingdom.

Finally, it is interesting to note that Jesus was walking toward Jerusalem from Bethany when He said these things.  They were on their way to the Temple, which sits on the Temple Mount.  I wonder, if when He was talking about "this mountain" if He was gesturing toward the Temple Mount(ain)?  If so that probably would have really caused the disciples to stop in their tracks, for the Temple was the very center of worship in their lives and the lives of all the Jews.  Yet, in retrospect, it was all at God's initiation and direction that the Temple existed there at all, so He certainly has the authority to do whatever He wanted with it.  Regardless, it was meant to be a powerful image of what was possible when we join ourselves to God, in relationship, and operate under His authority!  We can move what appear to be unmovable things!

This morning I am encouraged to listen more and to believe for bigger things in the Spiritual realm (as well as the natural), because I know that the Lord wants teach me about His authority and power, His love and faithfulness.  He is good far beyond our wildest imaginations, and He wants us to grasp that and operate in that here on earth, demonstrating to others the reality of His Kingdom!

Amen Lord!  Help me to hear, believe and obey!

No comments:

Post a Comment