Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Heavenly Wedding - It Is Worth Cheering About!

Continuing on with my reflection on Weddings, there is one more set of verses in the New Testament where we here about a wedding celebration and those are found in the Book of Revelation 19:5-9 NIV:

[5] Then a voice came from the throne, saying: “Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, both great and small!”

[6] Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:

“Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
[7] Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.
[8] Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.”

(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God's holy people.)

[9] Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”

This is certainly a hopeful set of verses, for John sees and hears proclamations of prophetic imagery associated with the last days, and the Wedding of the Lamb is one of the last images.

I think they are hopeful for several reasons.  First, there is a great multitude shouting in great joy!  This is no narrow way and narrow door type of crowd, but one that is cheering, and the sound of their cheering is continuous and rolling on and on (waterfalls and thunder combined)!  They are shouting about the Glory of God, His sovereign rule, The fact that the Bride (The Church) has finally made herself ready, and the day of the wedding is at hand, and fine linen, bright and clean was given to wear!  It's kind of funny that they are yelling about new clothes, but then I guess at least half the crowd were women!  (Just Kidding!!!!).  I will probably get punched in the arm by my wife for that comment!

Seriously though, these are things to shout for joy over!  God is victorious, and He reigns over all things!!  Sometimes in our limited earthly perspective we don't see that reality, but in Heaven it is all clear!  It is right for us to be full of joy at this proclamation!  It is right for us to proclaim this loudly and to glorify His Name.  It is amazing that the Bride has finally made herself ready!  This day was prophesied by Jesus, the Lamb, over two thousand years ago, and recorded by John in the following verses John 17:20-23 NIV:

[20] “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, [21] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. [22] I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one--- [23] I in them and you in me---so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

Paul rightly echoed this great prophecy in several places, the most famous in his first letter to the Corinthians chapters twelve and thirteen. Unity in the Body of Christ is a theme that is echoed over and over, and I believe this is part of what John heard the heavenly hosts cheering about! That will be a great and awesome day!  If the church is expanding and growing, in its present fractured and fragmented state, imagine what it would be like if it was truly unified!  I am so encouraged that even this week in Kansas City there is a significant gathering of many denominations, Catholic, Protestant, Charismatic and Orthodox, joining together in a gathering focusing on our similarities and not our differences! (See https://www.kairos2017.com).

Finally, they are shouting about the new clean linen clothes that they are receiving for the wedding!  John adds a note that this stands for the "righteous acts of God's holy people." Now this should not throw our understanding of the Gospel of Grace into a tizzy, for our only righteousness comes from Jesus!  It is because of His righteousness applied to our lives that anything we do, after receiving our salvation, can be considered righteous. It is effectively His righteousness applied to our lives that stains our garments pure white!  We should rejoice in our salvation and in our ability, in spite of ourselves and our weaknesses, to be a part of God's Glorious plan!

This will be the true wedding banquet (supper), the one that is the end-all-be-all of every banquet that has ever occurred.  Truly, those who are invited to attend this feast will be blessed!  Going back to my reflection yesterday, I think we will be surprised by all who will receive an invitation, if Jesus' words, spoken at the direction of the Heavenly Father, are any indication!  He said, "So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.' [10] So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests." (Matt 22:9-10 NIV).

Now that is Good NEWS, and worth shouting about!!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment