Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, February 19, 2018

A Gospel Reminder/Refresher

This morning I felt like I should read from Paul's letter to Titus, who was one of his spiritual sons and helpers.  It is an interesting letter, and certainly more of a personal note than theological treatise.

The first thing that caught my eye was how Paul describes himself in his opening greeting.  I am grateful I don't have to introduce myself this way, as I would need to take a couple of breaths to say it all!  :-)

Titus 1:1-3 NIV:

[1] "Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness--- [2] in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, [3] and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,.."

His introduction makes me breathe hard and makes my brain hurt, trying to keep his description straight.  It is almost like he is trying to fit the Gospel into his opening description of his title.  Although somewhat humorous, I think the point is simply this, Paul lived the Gospel!  It was that which was his complete focus and life goal to eat, sleep and breathe the Gospel.  Oh, what a glorious Gospel it is!

The second section that I am reflecting on is his short synopsis of the Gospel found in the second chapter -  Titus 2:11-14 NIV:

[11] "For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. [12] It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, [13] while we wait for the blessed hope---the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, [14] who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

Paul has the ability to pack so much information into just a few sentences.  It is clear that these are the bullet points of the Gospel, as He proclaims it.  It is first and foremost about the grace of God that offers salvation to all people, Jew or Gentile, slave or free, man or woman, regardless of race or nation (Col 3:11).  It is an offer of salvation that any can respond to, and that comes with real help to change.  This help, although not mentioned here by Paul, is clearly the Holy Spirit, the one who teaches and instructs (John 6:13), advocates and informs (John 15:26-27), reminds and reveals God's wisdom.  He is the seal of our salvation the guarantee of what is promised (Eph 1:13-14).  It is through the Holy Spirit's help that we are enabled to change, for He brings real power and authority, breathes relationship through the spirit of adoption as God's own children (Rom 8:15).  Finally, Paul finishes his sentence drawing us back to Jesus' perfect sacrifice, his setting us free, and His promise of eternal life and final glorification upon His return to earth to gather all who believe.

In Paul's mind it seems everything relates back to the Gospel.  Although he talks about followers being self-controlled, upright, godly, pure and eager to do what is good people, his teaching is that this is a joyful response to relationship through the Gospel of Grace.  He starts by reminding Titus of the Gospel of grace, and ends with people joyfully waiting for Christ's return, and through gratitude leading lives that are changed by this real grace.  The Gospel should bring about joyful change, for it is real good news, available to us all!

Thank You Lord for Your salvation, Your grace and Your help!  Help me to live a life of gratitude and peace!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment