Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, February 23, 2018

Growing in Belief!

Last night I was reflecting on my lack of belief and faith in regards to answered prayer.  It is an ugly thing when you are confronted with your own unbelief.  I don't know how to move past this point of believing that God can and will move, but still having doubts and low expectations.  I know faith comes from hearing (Rom 10:17).  I think my response is similar to the man whose son the apostles couldn't heal, "Lord, I believe, help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24NIV).

In light of last night's reflections, this morning I am once again drawn back to some of my favorite verses from John's Gospel.  I have been reflecting on these words and hoping in these words for most of my adult life.  I believe they are true and that we will see an increase in our experience of the truth communicated here by Jesus.  Here are the verses - John 14:9-14 NLT:

[9] "Jesus replied, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don't know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? [10] Don't you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. [11] Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do."

[12] "I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. [13] You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. [14] Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!"

- And following these with Jesus' continuation of the theme of indwelling - John 14:20,23 NLT:

[20] "When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you."

[23] "Jesus replied, "All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them."

In the same way that Jesus described the Father living in Him (verse 10 above), He describes Himself and the Father living in us!  It is the same level of relationship and intimacy from God's perspective.  He lives in us!  He LIVES in us!  He lives IN us!  He live in US!

I don't think we can think on that truth too much!  It was the Father living in Jesus who did His work through Jesus (Jn 14:10), and the proof of that was in the works that Jesus did (Jn 14:11)!  Oh Lord, that is one of the paths forward to see and believe in the works that You do!  Help me to listen and hear, to look and see all that You are about in the world, all that You are doing!  Help me to grow in belief through the works that You are doing!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment