Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Prayers of the Righteous Are Powerful & We Are Righteous In Jesus

The verses I am reflecting on this morning come from the last chapter of James' letter - James 5:13-18 NIV:

[13] "Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. [14] Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. [15] And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. [16] Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

[17] "Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. [18] Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops."

My point of reflection is the last sentence quoted above, how Elijah prayed and the heavens gave rain!  So often when I read those verses, I am drawn to think of them as focused on the dry season that occurred as a result of Elijah's prayer, but this morning I was drawn to the second, to the praying for rain.  I am particularly drawn to the impact the rain had, it watered the earth which produced its crops.  The rain was the cause of increase!

Recently I had a word that spoke of rain falling, and while we often look at rain as a sign of blessings, with natural rain it is the after-effect of the rain that produces the increase.  The rain itself is welcome as it washes and cleanses, but it is the watering of the soil, that causes the seeds to sprout and the trees to produce fruit.  Rain while necessary to quench our thirst, has a much longer impact in producing crops!  I guess you could say it is really a triple blessing, it washes and cleanses, it quenches our thirst and it allows the earth to produce its crops.  I could definitely use that triple blessing in my life -  cleansing, refreshing, quenching of my thirst for God, and abundance from a harvest!

James wrote the following immediately preceding his comments on Elijah - " The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."  As I read that I was thinking that I wish I was more righteous, that my prayers might be more effective.  Almost immediately I was reminded of the fact that I am righteous because of what Jesus has done, not because of my works.  I can allow His righteousness to affect me and change me, as I become more like Him, but the only righteousness I have in God's presence is Jesus' righteousness!  (See Rom 3:10-31 for Paul's introduction to Righteousness by Faith).  Thus, although I am certainly not righteous on my own, in Jesus, I am righteous, and my prayers are powerful and effective!  Said another way, if I am hidden in Christ (Col 3:3) then when I pray, my prayers are coming out of Jesus, and are ascribed His righteousness, and there is no one more righteous!

This morning I am greatly encouraged that my prayers, offered in faith through Jesus are powerful and effective!  I am encouraged that just as Elijah called forth rain, which brought a heavenly directed blessing and abundance, I am also able to release prayers that are every bit as effective!  Oh Lord, stir up my faith that I might fully grasp my hiddenness in You, that I might release Your very prayers, even as You release the Father's blessing!  You promised us, "In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. [27] No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. [28] I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.” (John 16:26-28 NIV).  We are praying to the Father, through You, and He is receiving our prayers in Your name, in the His very throne room!

Wow!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment