Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Questions and Answers with Jesus


This morning I am reflecting on some verses form Mark’s Gospel.  Lately I have been reading of Jesus’ interactions with the Pharisees in a different light, since reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s book “Ethics”.  In his book, Bonhoeffer discusses the interactions between the Pharisees and Jesus, and describes them as having two completely different perspectives, thus it often seems that when Jesus answers them, He isn’t even answering their questions.  These verses are a good example of that dynamic.  Here are the verses – Mark 7:1-8 NIV:
1”The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.[a])
So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?”
He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:
“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are merely human rules.’[b]
You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

This is such an interesting exchange, as Jesus doesn’t slowly turn the discussion towards His perspective, He comes right out and sets the Pharisees back on their heels, calling them hypocrites (literally two-faced).  His point is that they didn’t really care about worshiping God, loving God and serving God, their concern was with keeping focus on outward observances, rules and practices that had been modified and refined, and that they were missing the whole point. 

Jesus was directing them to review their actions and their hearts, and see what motivation was really present.  This is actually a great question for us to consider.  Why do we do the religious expressions and observances that we do?  Where is our heart, what is our goal?  Are we working to look holy and pure to others, or are we trying to worship God?  Are our hearts turned towards Him, or are we turned towards ourselves?  Do we put rules and regulations before things on God’s heart??  Are we more concerned about what others think, than God?  Do we actually have a relationship with God or are we following our parent’s faith with little thought of God?

The question the Pharisees raised was about observance of external religious practice and Jesus answered with a call to examine one’s heart.  This pretty much summarizes the difference between the Law and the Revelation of Jesus.  The Law had become focused on outward expressions, and the Lord is far more concerned about our inner expressions.

Going back to Jesus’ foundational “sermon on the Mount” (Matt 5-6), He was taking the external perspective and calling them to internalize and embrace these ideas in their hearts.  God is far more concerned with our hearts than He is with our works.  This is the perspective Jesus is presenting.  His is a constant call to embrace relationship and heart connection with the Father, and Himself.  He wants our hearts, and that is always His first concern. 

Jesus came that the people might be set free from the judgment of external works and released into true Life with and in the Father!  It is so easy for us to forget this and embrace the certain things we are told will make us more favored in God’s eyes.  There are all sorts of lists and guides, rules and life-styles that purport to make us more holy, more blessed by God, but these are so often void of the actual relationship God so desires.  I can follow a list and never give my heart away, for the list can be accomplished with external observances.  I can appear externally to be pious and pure, yet be wholly different internally.

So my thought this morning is I probably need to be careful what I ask Jesus about, because He will likely answer me with something I wasn’t wanting to hear! J  He does love me and desires me to be free and in relationship with Him!  Sometimes I forget who I am and who He is and get caught up in my own little vain imaginations, and lose complete focus.  He gently calls me back, calls me back into His loving embrace where I recognize that He is mostly concerned with my heart.  He loves me and will always love me and my actions can’t make Him Love me any more or less! 

No comments:

Post a Comment