Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 26, 2018

The Kingdom Comes in Power!

This morning I am meditating on a few verses from the end of the eighth chapter of Mark's Gospel, and the beginning of chapter nine.  Here are the verses -

Mark 8:34-38 NIV:

[34] "Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. [35] For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. [36] What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? [37] Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? [38] If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels.”

Mark 9:1 NIV
And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

I wanted to focus on the verse from chapter nine, but I think it is always important to understand the context in which Jesus was speaking.  In this case he was speaking to a crowd of people who were desiring to follow Him, and was speaking of the the cost of that discipleship. It is within that context that His comment about the kingdom of God coming in power is spoken.  He isn't speaking about the end of the age here, but rather is referencing the coming outpouring of the Holy Spirit, in power at Pentecost.

I find it interesting that Jesus references an experience of the Kingdom coming in power in light of the fact that he had been already ministering in power and authority.  In the few preceding chapters to this statement in Mark's Gospel, Jesus had healed blindness, the deaf, fed four thousand, fed five thousand, and walked on water.  It seems to me that Jesus is pointing to a significant increase in power.  He had already sent out the 12 and they had ministered healing, deliverance and miracles, and yet this was going to be greater than that, and I believe He was clearly referencing the Holy Spirit (Acts 2).

I believe it is also important that we not separate Mark 9:1 from Mark 8:34-38, for without it, the teaching of "taking up one's cross daily" just sounds tortuous!  There is certainly self-denial in the Kingdom, but it is supposed to balanced by a release of power.  As I was just reflecting on these verses, it seemed to me that Jesus was describing a journey of transformation.  We start by deciding to follow Him, secondly we learn that not everything in us, fits with Him and we must choose to let those parts go (deny oneself). Third we invest ourselves in representing Him and representing the Gospel.  Fourth, we stand our ground in the face of persecution and trial.  Fifth, we receive real power, and see to the expansion of the Kingdom of God, for what else would that power be for?

I thought that there is some parallels to what Jesus is describing and the basic training regimen that people go through in joining one of this nation's armed forces.  Boot camp is all about transformation and learning to deny oneself to follow directions.  There is a breaking down of individuality to take on a more unified and communal perspective and outlook.

In this case, as described by Jesus, we have eternal reward and our souls profit, and that is a great blessing and privilege.  However, it doesn't stop there, but instead is meant to be empowered by the Power of the Holy Spirit.  This is greater than what Jesus had already demonstrated, so much so that He felt required to mention it. I am reminded of Jesus' words found in John 14, where He speaks of the greater things we would do in His name - John 14:10-12 NIV:

[10] "Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. [12] Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

Amen! Lord we want to see the Kingdom of God coming in power!

No comments:

Post a Comment