Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Light in Our Darkness!


This morning I am reflecting on a short verse found in John's Gospel.  Here we have one of the times that Jesus describes Himself - John 8:12 NIV:  "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

This is such a huge statement, hidden in a single statement.  As in all things Jesus said, He did so at the behest of the Father, speaking only that which He was directed to speak (See John 14:10).  thus, we must understand that His statement if revealing Himself, as well as the Father.  I could write  much on this title - "Light of the World", but instead I wanted to focus on the second part of Jesus' statement - "whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."  Those were the words that grabbed my attention this morning.

I believe that there is very practical help in this statement by Jesus.  I find that in my on life there are times when I seem consumed by, or overwhelmed by difficulty, frustration, even a darkness of my mind and heart.  At times, I don't even know why, and struggle to make sense of that which I don't want experience, but am fully engaged in.  I find here, in Jesus' words, hope for relief and a lighted path out of the darkness back into the light.

Most often, I find that my times of darkness are related to a selfish mindset.  I want something, but don't have it or can't have it, and become angry.  Other times, it is offense that I have allowed to fester, again causing a selfish focus, or desire for vengeance.  Still other times, it is feeling like my hopeful expectations have been crushed and ground to dust underfoot and I don't understand the bigger picture and am only seeing things from my perspective. Again, sometimes when things don't go as I planned I think I am being punished.  The one common theme in all these scenarios is my self-focus and selfish perspective.

In Jesus' statement I find the only exit strategy (from these times) that works for me, and that is to turn my eyes to Him!  I ask Him to shine His light into my life, into my situation, and show me the path out.  Usually that requires me to lay down my personal perspective, my selfishness and desires, and seek Him, seek His Light, seek His Truth, and seek His guidance.  I find that 100% of the time, He is faithful to lead me back to His Light.

I am grateful that He is the Light of the World, and is available to us all!  He will never leave us in darkness, if we ask for His help!  He will lead us out, gently, with mercy and compassion, and show us the way!

Thank You Lord for Your Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment