Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, March 2, 2019

The Ugliness of Judgment

This morning I felt like I should read from James 5, and the following verses were my focus.

James 5:7-11,13-16 NIV

[7] "Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. [8] You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. [9] Don't grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door! [10] Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. [11] As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."

[13] "Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. [14] Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. [15] And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. [16] Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

The verse that caught my eyes was verse 9 - "Don't grumble against one another, brothers and sisters..."  I find myself sliding into grumbling easily.  I think it is an issue of selfish focus, and unbelief.  I find that I have expectations and ideas of what I want to do, etc.  and anything other than that and I start grumbling.

James rightly calls grumbling judgment, and judgment is an ugly bi-product of religion.  Even without any faith connection, I think judgment is ugly.  Clearly I am not speaking of justice, or deciding a legal case.  However, don't be mistaken, when we judge someone we are judge, prosecuting attorney and witness against them all in one neat little package.

When we judge, we see something, assume the worst about that situation and accuse and condemn the individual without them ever having a chance to defend themselves!  Whether its how they look, how they dress, how they drive, how they act, we issue our judgment without mercy!  We have no idea what their background is, how they got to this place in life, etc.  We know nothing, yet we think we can judge them.  James warns us here that by doing so, we open ourselves up to judgment by God. I know I don't want to be judged by God for sure, I would rather be opening myself up to the mercy and compassion of God!

Finally, James warn us against grumbling against each other.  Judgment is not something that is neutral, it is against!  In other words, when we judge one another we set ourselves against them.  Rather than moving towards unity, we are moving to separate ourselves from each other.  Judgment creates division!  In our minds we have already started destroying the relationship we might have had, or once had.  Judgment is the antithesis of relationship.

Instead of judgment, let us be moved to pray for those that we are so quick to judge!  Let us plead mercy and compassion upon them!  Let us forgive where necessary, and extend mercy and compassion, and faithful friendship. Let us remind ourselves of where we have been and what we have come through.  Let us remind ourselves of God's mercy towards us, and let us extend the same to one another.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment