Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Stewards or Owners?

This morning I have been reading a bit from Luke's Gospel.  The verses I wanted to reflect on are the following - Luke 19:12-17 NIV:

[12] "He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. [13] So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. 'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.'

[14] “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We don't want this man to be our king.'

[15] “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

[16] “The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.'

[17] “ 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'

There is more to this parable, but this selection captures the key point that got me thinking this morning, namely  the King's statement in verse thirteen.  He gives the servants money (minas) and tells them to "put this money to work, until I come back."  Clearly this story is a parable, and has deeper meaning for us.  Jesus was speaking to a mixed group of His followers, as He was making His way towards Jerusalem.  In Luke's Gospel this story is told shortly before Jesus ' passion and death, and thus we can ascribe a certain weightiness to this, as Jesus knew His time was running short.

Most commentators believe Jesus was alluding to the gifts that would be poured out on His followers after His death, which did later occur at Pentecost.  Paul wrote about the many gifts we have received, and I think that these minas could certainly be indicative of those gifts.  I think that we can also ascribe the individual blessings and gifts we have received in our lives as part of these minas, as well.  To me, the main point is that they are given not for ownership, but rather for stewarding.  The minas remain the King's property, and the servants were just supposed to put the money to work for the King.

If we believe we have been given gifts, blessings, and provision but at the same time believe that everything is still His, (even that which we are stewarding) then we should have a different attitude.  Ownership allows for use and disposal, while stewardship always looks towards the returning of the property to the rightful owner.  We don't get to use and consume these gifts for our own pleasure, but rather to further the King's rule and dominion.

So the question I am considering this morning is how effectively am I stewarding the gifts that I have been given?  Am I providing proper return for the investment that has been entrusted to me for stewardship?  Definitely something I need to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment